Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Wasn't sure where to stick this, so I stuck it here. Right now I'm living in the midwest (boring) and I would like a change of scenery. I would like to one day move to California for a change of scenery, but as most people know it's expensive. How do pilots do it? (CFIs, Regional, Majors) What parts of Cali are the cheapest to live? I prefer somewhere around KSNA. Thoughts...

Uh, first of all, you chose one of the most expensive parts of California to start. Second, you would just have to lower your standard of living. Call it a paradise tax. You won't have to plow your driveway anymore, but you might have to live in a closet paying $500+ rent. Look on craiglist to get a feel for how much rent is out here.

Let's see...I'm from SoCal. When I flight instructed and did 135 cargo I lived with my parents. At the time, many pilot friends lived with their parents. Other's lived somewhere cheaper than SNA. You may need to have many roommates. Most of my friends that lived coastal had roommates. Most who could afford to live on their own had no debt, but still not coastal.

I actually moved to the midwest for a while to get a job after 9/11. Moved back to the most expensive area, SBA, but negotiated my salary based on cost of living. No matter what size your place is right now expect to pay more for much less. Of course there is no snow, much more culture; the ocean, the mountains, the desert, the wine country, ect. are only an hour or two away depending on where you live. Of course you may not have the money to do anything while you are here if you are flight instructing.

Hope this info helps.

Look at teachers salaries in California. Relatively speaking, they make better money out here. In my local discrict, starting salary is mid 30s with tops in the 90+ range.

I just took some general numbers and plugged them in this way.

5 Year Captain at a regional = $50,000
Teacher = $50,000

Use the formula... Annual Salary x .28 / 12 = Monthly house payment

$100,000 x .28 = 28,000

28,000/12= About $2,300.

Therefore you could accept a house payment of 2,300 a month or $28,000 a year. And it gives you extra money for car payments, gas money, or whatever else you need it for.

Do you think 2,300 a month would be acceptable?

After living in Los Angeles, CA for 14 years I left for greener pastures and a better and more affordable quality of life (Oregon). If I were you, I would cast the net a bit wider and look for other options.

What's the point of all that "scenery" if you can't afford to enjoy it?

Joshrk22 said:
I just took some general numbers and plugged them in this way.

5 Year Captain at a regional = $50,000
Teacher = $50,000
If you are a student pilot right now, you are anywhere from 7-10 years away from that 5 year captain spot, and who knows what the industry will be like at that time.

It is much more likely you will be paying off loans 10 years from now than living in Orange county. I just spent some time in Socal, at my sisters, I too was tempted but.........
Their tract house 5 miles from the beach cost them $900k. Its a nice tract home in a nice neighborhood, but not worth close to a million dollars.

Some friends of the family were visiting when I was there and wanted to sell there 5 bedroom house with property in NJ and wanted to know what they could get for $500k in the OC. The answer was a condo or something way inland and small.

It is very nice there but you will never get ahead there on a pilot's sallary. It is simply a trade off you make, you will be living in a Paradise but eating top ramen and sharing a house with a lot of people.

To the guy in SBA, I went to college there. It is called "the land of the newly wed or nearly dead." It is great when you are young and loving the lifestyle, but when you realize you can't afford it you go away, then come back to retire if you have struck it rich.

CesnaCaptn said:
Call it a paradise tax. You won't have to plow your driveway anymore, but you might have to live in a closet paying $500+ rent.
After 7 years of living in the same apartment, them bastages finally had the nads to increase the rent. We have one garage stall, one numbered parking spot, two bedrooms and pretty big kitchen and living room, central air and heat. I'd estimate it at about 900 sq feet. The rent just went up to 650 a month...after 7 years of no increases from the original rent.

6 years ago, I was told apartments of such size were going for 800-900 a month and higer in the MEM area. Which was going to be a real tough pill to swallow on 525 take home every two weeks at XJ.

Latest resources

Back