Pilots & Cali - Do They Mix?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HMR said:
I'm a pilot in SoCal. I wouldn't want to trade places with anyone in any of the other 49 states. I can see the ocean from my driveway and my neighbors ride horses on our street. I love my job (PT91) and my new kitchen is bigger than my entire apartment was when I flew charter out of VNY. Life is good.

Nice to hear that someone can afford the "quality of life" that California has too offer. Shame that most pilot salaries cannot keep up with the lifestyle, mine included.

It is regretful that it seems that only the filthy rich or the dirt poor can afford California!

HMR said:
I'm a pilot in SoCal. I wouldn't want to trade places with anyone in any of the other 49 states. (snip) VNY. Life is good.

That's why I'm here too. I'm in a 172 flying by during one of the interviews of the movie "One Six Right." I know and have flown with a large selection of the interviewees. I've flown in formation with many of the airplanes, me landing 16L, them 16R.

So when walking out to the car this morning I find all of my hubcabs gone, the valve stem covers gone (who in the bleep takes valve stems covers?), and assorted paintball marks all over the car, I know that in a few short minutes I'll be in a different world leaving all of the scumbags and most of the cockroaches behind.

I can get sun and ocean elsewhere. VNY is the only reason I'm still in SoCal.

JediNein said:
I can get sun and ocean elsewhere. VNY is the only reason I'm still in SoCal.
"Life is 10% circumstance. The rest is how you deal with it.":)

Actually, with a working spouse, even a teacher, you have a leg up. I've persisted as a solo dude out here. SoCal near the beach is good living. The downsides are the housing costs and the traffic. Personally, I find the Valley too hot and even more congested than west L.A. and the beaches. My suggestion if you do move here is do NOT build a lengthy commute into your scenario. (As for SNA and points south, it's somewhat different down there than where I am situated. I do happen to like South Orange County and North San Diego County, although I have not lived there. ) I cannot speak to Orgeon, but, in general, I prefer coastal living and used to live in the Northeast. Good luck!

Addendum: When I first spotted this thread, I thought it was about Cali, Columbia. Also: most married guys I know would be making a joint decision on something like a major move, so I would think that your spouse's input would be part of the decision-making process, especially if she is going to be the breadwinner(?) or a joint breadwinner. Anyway, as a student pilot, seems your short term focus would likely be more on acquisition of ratings and experience. Again, good luck.

Last edited:
Whats the flying like down in California? Is the weather good for flight instructing most of the time? And, are there many instructing jobs down there?

99% of the time the weather is beautiful in socal. there is a reason you cant find a house in a good area for under 500k

Latest resources

Back