Pilots and depression: What to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

brianjohn

Anybody out there have to deal with it before? With medication? I know the FAA is very clear that you lose your medical if you are diagnosed with it and have to take meds.
Suppose (hopefully so) you realize life is more important that flying, so you get treated and take medication. You properly report it and you know you CURRENTLY cannot get a medical. Typically how long does it take before they let you get one back? I'm assuming you have to be off the meds for awhile first.
I had a friend years ago who dealt with it and was on meds for a year or so. If memory serves correcty he had to fight for several years post medication before they let him get a medical.
So what's the best way to go about it? Any help is appreciated, but especially from those who have dealt with it before while trying not to jeopardize their flying career.
Thanks

The best cure for depression is to change your habits. Adopt the habit of frequent exercise and practice taking charge of your thoughts and outlook. If you are looking at taking medication, you may consider some hard work on your own first.

IMHO, the drug companies have done an outstanding job of selling most folks on the idea that happiness comes in a pill.

When I was suffering from depression the only thing that made me feel better was to go fly. When flying I use to think of nothing else except the task at hand. I can remember landing and having all the feelings come back to mind.

Try lots of excercise and lay off the alchohol if you drink. Do a google search on 5-HTP and see if it might help you out. Its a cheap supplement, available at places like GNC.

You would be amazed at what the excercise alone can do though.

Last edited:
There's a very good book by David Burns called "Feeling Good". It talks in great depth about how to change your thought process. Treating depression with changing your mindset instead of drugs. I had a mild bought of depression that I've fought successfully with these thought processes.

Personally, I suggest keeping mum to docs and your AME about depression, and giving his techniques a try. If they do not help, or if your depression is serious enough that you're contemplating suicide (as in having serious suicidal thoughts, a suicide plan worked out etc) then seek professional medical help immediately and worry about your medical later.

There's a lot to be depressed about in our industry lately. A study I read somewhere said that the most common issues among pilots post-9/11 has been depression and sleep disturbances/issues.

edit to add: The excercise quotient is HUGE too. It's amazing what even 30 minutes a few times a week can do to help.

Latest resources

Back