Pilots and depression: What to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lrjtcaptain said:
Oh how I disagree with some of the above. Some of you have absolutly no clue what you are talking about.
I understand where your coming from. My wifes family is all depressed, a quick rundown. Grandfather clinically depressed, father depression also diagnosed with cronic fatigue, borther well he has lots of issues, mother is a mess, great aunt commited suicide due to depression issues. Sorry I can't name the actual "sickness" they have but you get the point. Her father even had the ECT shock theropy to help with it. On my side recently my brother was having issues of depression, and was given some drugs by the doctor. I think it was zoloft. Well, not only did it makes things worse he attempted suicide and failed thankfully. So I am not ne wto this at all. Here is my observation.

Drugs are so over prescribed by drug company's/doctors, that some people really think happiness comes in a pill. In our experiences my wifes dad for example has been taking medications for 10-15 years for this stuff and is tired of it. He has been slowing working off each one and admits that there are challenges, but that the drugs are not needed for everything. One must change his/her ways in order to feel good. There is something to be said for that. Now, I do know in some extreme cases that people are just imbalanced and need medication, but a majority are just over prescibed.

I respect your thoughts, and input. This is by no means saying your wrong and I'm right. I would also be happy to explain/ share in depth anything I said as well. Just didn't want to ramble on and on. Safe flying

Several years ago, when the bottom dropped out of my life, I had no business being in the cockpit. I was flying single pilot, other people's lives in my hands and knew I couldn't focus 100% on acting as PIC. I took a year off and went back to flying when I was safe to do so.

Even if it means losing your medical... do what you need to do to stay safe and alive.

FN FAL said:
Yea, we're all mean. So let me ask you this one...say the kid isn't clinically depressed and doesn't suffer from the same chemical imbalance problem as LrjtCA. He then goes down to the money grubbing doctor who gets a kickback from the pharmaceutical companies for writing prescriptions for the drugs that are going to ultimately mean a loss of flying status and a paperwork trail. How is it that we're mean for suggesting that the person re-evaluate their emotional status, before they run down and see the nice drug salesman MD guy?

If I was a doctor and I had my stethoscope out and was listening to some guy going on and on about "girlfriend dumped me...boo hoo hoo...yadda yadda yadda" I'd be thinking about how many more prescriptions I was going to need to write in order to buy that new cigarette boat and say, "Yea, you're depressed..."

FN-FAL, re-read my post. I said some were mean, and some meant well. Anyone who felt the need to post to a public forum seeking help and advice is probably far past a bluesy state. How many others post here and say "Wow, I'm feeling down"? It doesn't happen. We bottle it, and it takes probably moths of depression before someone says "This is wrong" and begins the tentative search for help.

As for your scenario, you treat physicians in the same offhand, cavalier, and extremely unprofessional way some of our passengers treat us when boarding. "Hey Cappy, get enough sleep? snicker. How 'bout that 4 margarita lunch? Hope y'all aren't too drunk!" Your claim that a doc would automatically reach for his scrip pad (YEAH! Pfizer KICKBACKS!) to pay for his new boat is demeaning and inaccurate. Sure there're bad ones. Just like there are drunk pilots, but the vast majority are professional and will prescribe if needed, but not before. They don't make more money writing a prescription. Their fees come from the entire office visit.

Look at how much pain is underprescribed. Doctors are very hesitant to prescribe powerful medications.

As for me, probably like you, a case of ammo at the range is a near sure-fire cure for the blues! :cool:

Gorilla said:
As for your scenario, you treat physicians in the same offhand, cavalier, and extremely unprofessional way some of our passengers treat us when boarding. "Hey Cappy, get enough sleep? snicker. How 'bout that 4 margarita lunch? Hope y'all aren't too drunk!" Your claim that a doc would automatically reach for his scrip pad (YEAH! Pfizer KICKBACKS!) to pay for his new boat is demeaning and inaccurate. Sure there're bad ones. Just like there are drunk pilots, but the vast majority are professional and will prescribe if needed, but not before. They don't make more money writing a prescription. Their fees come from the entire office visit.

Look at how much pain is underprescribed. Doctors are very hesitant to prescribe powerful medications.

As for me, probably like you, a case of ammo at the range is a near sure-fire cure for the blues! :cool:

Cavalier? Not my style ( :D ) Maybe Lexus or Lincoln! hahahahaha, I'd probably recommend that a student come in for a couple more lessons to get those chandelles just right and to help smooth out those landings a bit. When milking the student for a few more bucks serves the public good, I think I can justify it under the ethics system of "Utilitarianism". Would hate to see the student go out into the world not prepared (it's a correlation, bear with me).

brianjohn,

One aspect of depression not always looked at is sleep - as in quality of sleep.

Humbly suggest that a night or two in a sleep lab should be a part of the elimination process.

If one doesn't take that route, a simple,low cost sleep apnea test called the SleepStrip. Get a prescription for two nights since some patients don't have sleep apnea symptoms every night. That will help screen for this under-diagnosed disorder.

It can affect QOL on many levels including impotence. It is a direct cause for stroke.

PG

If you read this thread you can understand why depression is such a pain in the arse. If you havent been through it you would never understand it. Telling a depressed person to be happy and think positive is like telling a drunk person to be normal and think sober. They are literally incapable of doing more than pretending. Clinical depression is a life stopping experience. It usually settles in slowly so you dont realize your falling into it, then one day you just realize that someone has shut off the lights. You dont care about anything (in alot of cases even getting laid.), and you become lost in a mental fog. Your energy level becomes that of a 90 year old and the word fatigue takes on an entire new meaning. You havent felt fatigue until youve felt depression induced fatigue. Its pretty dibilitating. You spend the entire day trying desprately to count blessings, but you wake up the next morning feeling fatigued and negative. Pilots get double screwed. Unable to even hint at a possible condition, the choice is the chuck a career and get treated (probably with no Med. insurance) or suffer.
If your not ready to make that choice there is alot of stuff you can do that may help. You need to boost serotonin and dopamine. St. johns wort, SAMe, 5htp, and tryptophan boost serotonin(take only one of those at a time). L-phelenanine is an amino acid that boosts dopamine and noradrenaline. If anxiety/depression is a problem you may need more serotinin. If your energy is low and you are apathetic/depressed, you may need dopamine. Read about it before you supplement. Some things can improve depression but can slightly raise anxiety(L-phelenanine) so be careful. Make sure you get the right combo for your situation. If that dosent work, get treated professionally, life is way to short to throw away.

http://www.aviationmedicine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home

These guys are legit. They have experience in aviation medicine but on the military side of the house. They have no legal obligation to report you to the FAA and thus can give you confidential information unlike an AME. These guys are THE GO TO GUYS when you need someone assisting you in a medical issue.

Give them a try.

JD

Latest resources

Back