• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilots and depression: What to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some people, in addition to having success with 5-HTP, also have good luck with omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil). You can get it at Costco. Just be sure to take it at night, otherwise you get fish burps in the day that are pretty gross...

Oh how I disagree with some of the above. Some of you have absolutly no clue what you are talking about.

A brief history of me. Clinically diagnosed manic in 94 due to a heridetary chemical imbalance. Sorry, Diet Excercise, flying, having sex, sorry, nothing would cure it but a chemical cocktail of meds i.e. prozac trazadone and paxil. and some group therapy. I was a sophmore in H.S. at the time. Really no way to deal with it except counseling and medication. What I did, was took the meds they gave me, it took a while but after a while i improved and the Doc gave me a placebo for the last few months all was well, i went off the meds.

Applying for medical, well, it was a nightmare. I eventually contacted the Flight Surgeon in OKC after 6 months of fighting the FAA. I had been off the meds for 9 months when I finally and his approaval. Every medical i apply for I put all that down with the no change comment.

Here is where it can get tricky. I did it legal, didn't lie.....If you are currently flying and taking this medication you best not get caught. Off the record I know of some of my coworkers that take stuff and don't report it on the medical application. If caught, more then likely it would be a bad thing. Its always an option. If you think you can go with out the meds try it, if you cant well, then its time to stop flying for a while.

PM me, I don't care to discuss alot of the details in an open forum.

A frown :( is just smile :) turned upside down.

Maybe you just think you're depressed.

FN FAL said:
A frown :( is just smile :) turned upside down.

Maybe you just think you're depressed.

I take this very personal due to my history which was nothing I had control over, depression is a much more serious thing then you think. Its like alcholosim or anything else. If your not in the club you just don't understand and cant comprehend the mentality, but you have no clue what its like, how powerful it is and how sometimes you have no control. Show a little more empathy, these things are serious problems and should be treated with respect. Im not an alcholic by any means, but I can empathize because I know how powerful the mind can be. People are sick and you make comments like that, what are we supposed to do, just wake and be has happy and cheerful as you. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

Lrjtcaptain said:
I take this very personal due to my history which was nothing I had control over, depression is a much more serious thing then you think. Its like alcholosim or anything else. If your not in the club you just don't understand and cant comprehend the mentality, but you have no clue what its like, how powerful it is and how sometimes you have no control. Show a little more empathy, these things are serious problems and should be treated with respect. Im not an alcholic by any means, but I can empathize because I know how powerful the mind can be. People are sick and you make comments like that, what are we supposed to do, just wake and be has happy and cheerful as you. Sorry, doesn't work that way.
Sorry, I wasn't talking to you Lrjt...just asking the guy if he "thinks" he's depressed.

Last edited:
Lrjtcaptain said:
no harm no foul, i had a bad day. Sorry
I can dig it...no need to apologize, you were just explaining yourself and your situation.

Pilots and depression: what to do?

Gettin laid more often usually works for me. :D

Wyatt said:
Pilots and depression: what to do?

Gettin laid more often usually works for me. :D

Well, once again no tact what so ever from our comrades in the flying community. Ignorence is bliss boss. And excuse the spelling, cause im on the road to aclholism with the FAA these days, whatever they can do to make me as miserable of a controller as possible they will do but have some respect for the matter. I resent your comments because even though I didn't start this thread I take this crap seriously because its part of who I am, what I have been and who I am now. While your comments I'm sure were meant to be humorous becasue women are my crutch I find it disrespectful and not a whole lot offends or upsets me, but I've been in the depressed world, I battle it every day of my life and people like you who have no F'n clue make your remarks and think your cute and funny. Well I have a comment for you. F... You!

see below for .02

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back