Pilots and Alcohol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar said:
Those pilots who don't drink coffee can't be trusted...especially on the back side of the clock.

Cheers!

Love vodka - don't like coffee....damn, I better report to the D.O.

I can't drink anything that has coffee beans in it. Its just disgusting to me.

I know a few AF crew memebrs who don't drink. They aren't figher pilot - but Spec Ops folks. Some Navs and a couple Pilots. So you aren't alone.
One guy only eats natural foods that have never been cooked or processed. His deployment bags are 50% FOOD.

I know at least 2 guys that fly fighters that don't drink alcohol. Don't know their reason, they just don't.

I have a friend who is a CP at a major who doesn't drink. But thats because he used to drink and didn't know how to stop...So, I guess you're right. You're the only one!

Can you actually drink eggnog without the rum?

Merry Christmas!

Just a kid said:
From reading the board for a while, I get the feeling that airplane pilots, at least the ones who post here, pride themselves being a hard-ridin', hard-drinkin' lot. (Although the poll suggests that we rarely fly under the influence.)

I think I may have been the only non-drinking tactical fighter pilot in the history of the USAF. Now I wonder if I'm the only non-drinking airplane pilot in the history of aviation, J-3's through F-100's, at least.

My bet is I'm utterly alone. Anybody challenge my claim?

We have a former AF TAC F111 guy in our operation that I'm sure has never tasted booze much less become a drinker. That's okay as it leave more for me.

I flight with a guy that refuses to even drink pop, or coffee. :eek: Then we have another guy thats an alcoholic, and once he gets drinking he's not going to stop until he gets thrown out of the estabishment. Have had to defuse a couple potential bar fights for this guy. Needless to say, no one ever wants to fly with him. The other guys I fly with typically drink Scotch, and whiskey (typically straight) as their drinks of choice.

I personally enjoy alcohol, and even have a full wooden bar in my house for entertaining, and to support my enjoyment. I don't drink coffee, never been able to stand a hot drink, or the taste for that matter, so its usually some high-caffeine pop drink for me if it's an early morning or late night flight.

I think pilots and drinking go hand in hand, the same way that other generalizations seem to fit most all pilots. It's just part of the personality and lifestyle that comes along with it. The sad part of all that though is that most people think we're all alcoholics and all we do is stay out late drinking, chasing skirts all night, and flying drunk the next morning.

I get drunk sometimes every single night until I need a health night. Coffee is whack and pop only 4 lunch. I save my bubble gut for the Coors Light.

A special moment between me and my flight instructor (after hours)

Son, where did you learn to drink?

Me: Where did you learn to fly?

Good (hiccup) question--PUKE

Latest resources

Back