Pilots and Alcohol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Just a kid

From reading the board for a while, I get the feeling that airplane pilots, at least the ones who post here, pride themselves being a hard-ridin', hard-drinkin' lot. (Although the poll suggests that we rarely fly under the influence.)

I think I may have been the only non-drinking tactical fighter pilot in the history of the USAF. Now I wonder if I'm the only non-drinking airplane pilot in the history of aviation, J-3's through F-100's, at least.

My bet is I'm utterly alone. Anybody challenge my claim?

Just a kid said:
From reading the board for a while, I get the feeling that airplane pilots, at least the ones who post here, pride themselves being a hard-ridin', hard-drinkin' lot. (Although the poll suggests that we rarely fly under the influence.)

I think I may have been the only non-drinking tactical fighter pilot in the history of the USAF. Now I wonder if I'm the only non-drinking airplane pilot in the history of aviation, J-3's through F-100's, at least.

Nope, you're all alone.

Just a kid said:

Wow this is a pretty intense question to think about. I am very drunk right now. I will try to answer your question in the morning, if I remember to.

Wait just one minute.......When I signed up, they told me I HAD to be an alcoholic to get my license........all that money pissed away....oh well...back to my whiskey.......

My university's drinking department has an aviation problem.

Pilots, Doctors, Priests

I must admit. I enjoy my booze. What can I say?

But I'd never hold it against a pilot who doesn't drink.

Let me rephrase that: I'd never hold it against a pilot who doesn't drink alcohol. Those pilots who don't drink coffee can't be trusted...especially on the back side of the clock.

Cheers!

I had my first beer when I was 33 and flying for a major airline.......it has all gone down hill from there. Not really. I really enjoy going out with a crew both male and female and have a few drinks, I have found it refreshing. We can have the same kind of fun without the booze but when you are under a tight time frame the booze helps people to open up and become normal. Hence the billion dollar booze industry. We have a few that have to be carried from the table but the reality is that no one really wants to go out with them and be a baby sitter. I try and nurse my drink and stick to a max of 2 or 3, anymore and I get sick anyway. Cheers.

Just a kid said:

Are you kidding me?????:beer:

Just a kid said:
I may have been the only non-drinking pilot in the history of aviation
...and you may be the only pilot rated in the B1-RD who isn't also rated in the GU-11...

mar said:
I must admit. I enjoy my booze. What can I say?

Those pilots who don't drink coffee can't be trusted...especially on the back side of the clock.

Mar, once again you prove be one of the few trustworthy, top-shelf guys on this board. I hate flying with these "I don't ever drink coffee, even for a 5am show" kind of guys. The more important question is, how can you do this job and not drink a ton of coffee and enjoy your alcohol on your days off?

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back