Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilotless Airliner - They're looking at it again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can just see it now. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have encountered a Fatal system error....would you like to send a copy of this report to microsoft?"

I'm sure it works great for the military, butwhen one of these drones goes down in the middle of battle, is anyone in Bagdad gonna sue? Maybe. If an automated A380 went down in SFO imagne the lose of life & lawsuits there.

Not gonna happen for a long time.

Trains don't travel at 41,000ft at 500 mph either.

No but you have cars jumping in front of trains going 200mph though (or track conditions, or whatever). I think the idea that the public is going to be up in arms is highly over blown.

I worked with Predator for three years. If you want to kill this idea quickly, all you have to do is let the public know just how many times Predator went Lost Link, or how many times the system just failed or how many times the racks locked up. You'll see just how quickly this thing will die.

No but you have cars jumping in front of trains going 200mph though (or track conditions, or whatever). I think the idea that the public is going to be up in arms is highly over blown.

Is the airplane going to take evasive action to not hit the fuel truck? How about that flock of geese passing over the runway during takeoff? Or the standing lenticular marking severe turbulence that doesn't show up on radar? Who sequences the taxi flows out of the alley and to the runways at ORD or JFK? Is there going to be a red "pull here" handle for an emergency in the cabin? Will it detect and avoid that Piper Cub in the valley on the way to the runway?

Hey AC560... since you think this will be an easy leap, have you ever flown an airliner or are you just another sci-fi geek speaking about a process you don't understand?

Last edited:
I worked with Predator for three years. If you want to kill this idea quickly, all you have to do is let the public know just how many times Predator went Lost Link, or how many times the system just failed or how many times the racks locked up. You'll see just how quickly this thing will die.

This reminds me of the 50+ year-old promise of "flying cars" for personal transportation! :laugh:

BBB

I can just see the standard TRW parameters installed in the software package, such as 20miles away from TRWs. Then flying 50miles downwind from a TX or OK airmass TRW with tops to 70K and coming away with every leading edge pounded back to the spar. Land successfully and have 150 passengers suing for mental anguish.

Ditto. I Deadhead in back and folks ask me why I'm not in front. I tell them the plane is fully automatic and I'm only here if theres a problem, you should hear the comments. This turd won't float with the pax, cargo maybe, until one shuts down LAX when it vears 90 right off the runway after landing...

Latest resources

Back