Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilotless Airliner - They're looking at it again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing I found interesting was that a pilotless airliner will have a USA Today Auto-unfold at 8000' msl in the flight deck.

My $.02

This insert will NEVER happen. The public is pretty self-absorbed and unaware of the challenges we face in this business. But that's because they know there are two professionally trained airline pilots who are licensed by a seperate government entity. Tell them there will be no human being to pilot their flight and see how quickly eveyone gets off the plane. I don't care how young they are, and how much you may think "tomorrow's generation" will accept this just because they play video games and programa computer better than most, nobody will knowingly accept pilotless airline travel.

This is yet another feeble attempt by some engineers to get a grant to show their prowess and remain employed. No doubt enouraged by some astute airline exec who just can't figure out how to grow earnings by 20% per year now that labor has given all it will give. Eureka! Get rid of labor altogether! Pilotless airliners, automatic evac doors and vending machines to replace the FAs, auto-docking on the ramp to reach the gate. Autoloaders to pull the bags off. Surely that will save 20% for years to come! Whoopie!

And don't tell me cargo is going to go pilotless either. Shipping is a heck of a lot slower than an airplane at 600 MPH. You don't see Matson or Maersk running autoships across the oceans, do you?

Latest resources

Back