Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilotless aircraft. Look out Fed Ex wannabees.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

slackass

I've been seeing more and more stories like this. I've also read that we may very well be seeing the last of fighter pilot classes for the military. I think that most of us in the industry are safe right now but this may very well be realistic within one lifetime. Ask some of the grey beards now and ask them what it was like when they started flying. I chuckled the other day in the jumpseat of an Airbus when the seasoned captain turned to the F.O. and after running the "before start checklist" said, "count three blades and start two".
[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]Cargo Drone In The Works[/FONT]

IAI_logo.jpg
Israeli Aerospace Industries is working on an airliner-sized unmanned aerial vehicle capable of carrying 60,000 pounds of freight. And the only reason it’s focusing on a cargo plane is that the flying public won’t accept a pilotless passenger plane. Shlomo Tsach, IAI’s director of flight sciences, told the Jerusalem Post the technology already exists to fly passengers without pilots but "the world is not yet ready to be flown without a pilot at the stick.” However, he said, a study by Boeing suggests there’s no such resistance to sending packages without direct human intervention, so the idea of a pilotless cargo plane is gaining some traction.

Well if it runs on windows vista, better buy the insurance next time.

Let's see, 100 million airplane, who knows how many millions in cargo in the back, operating round the world in class II airspace to third world airports with sketchy weather data and ATC control... something tells me Fred Smith "may not be ready" to toss the keys to a hacker in a cubicle somewhere either.....

Aviation Week & Space Technology03/05/2007, page 19

The Israel Air Force plans to unveil its big, new long-range unmanned aircraft within the next few weeks. The Eitan, also known as the Heron II, has the wingspan of a Boeing 737.
The aircraft has flown clandestinely several times. IAF will announce its introduction to military service. It also may be displayed at the Paris air show in June.
Eitan is being considered for use for intelligence-gathering and surveillance, and as a strike platform for ballistic missile intercept in boost phase and ground attack of missile launchers. The design also is being considered, along with the Eagle I, as an aerial refueler. Technion, Israel's premier technological institute, is developing a prototype refueling system.

Credit: Northrop Grumman ConsceptThat means Israel joins Northrop Grumman and European guided weapons manufacturer MBDA in undertaking preliminary study work on UAV air-to-air refueling.
Northrop Grumman is eyeing development of the high-flying Global Hawk UAV as an aerial refueler; company officials posted this first image in a private corner of a booth at the annual Air Force Assn. show in Orlando, Fla., late last month. Air Force leaders have requested preliminary work on the refueler, although the mission requirement is still vague.
A company official says the tanker would carry fuel to other Global Hawks conducting intelligence-collection missions, to extend their endurance. However, some experts speculate the refueler may be used for other high-flying aircraft that haven't yet been developed or made their debut in the unclassified world. The design also is being examined for use as a tanker for stealthy, unmanned combat aircraft with shorter ranges.
IAF officials also are looking at a UAV tanker to fuel manned aircraft in enemy airspace where manned tankers would be too vulnerable.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Air Force plans to demonstrate the Global Hawk in the Asia-Pacific area. The project will involve the deployment of a Global Hawk to Guam and overflights from there. Ten nations have signed up to participate and have specified regions they would like observed. Another possible use of Global Hawk in the region is to provide security surveillance in the Straits of Malacca, where pirates have been known to board oil tankers sailing from the Persian Gulf to the Far East.

would you rather have a computer or a 300 hr regional pilot fly you around?

I'm looking through my April bidpack for these telecommuter lines and I don't see any. When will they be published? Will I get per diem to sit in my boxers, eat cheetos and 'fly' the pilotless drone?

I figure I've really only got a 50/50 shot at getting to retirement age anyway at FedEx. Something like this is bound to come along eventually and end the gravy train.

Save your money gents.

would you rather have a computer or a 300 hr regional pilot fly you around?
I hear this a lot, any idea how many accidents in the airline world have happened at the hands of a 300 hour pilot?

Ummmm. How's a pilotless aircraft going to handle taxiing at ORD? Anyone?

Last edited:
Pilotless cargo and passenger ops will happen in our lifetimes.

And they will very likely be safer. "Pilot error" causes a huge amount of accidents. Sad but true.

Been saying it for years, and no one wants to believe it.

Yes and there is always going to be a human error factor in a pilotless airplane as well. Whether they are holding a yoke or typing on a keypad, humans will continue to make mistakes that put airplanes into the ground.

Latest resources

Back