• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piloting career regrets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Probably because some of us are too old for that!
What you say is true but do it young. It is not an option for career changers unfortunately. Also, you may not be aware that there are some who failed their medicals for entry into military flight programs but were able to get their airline careers off the ground as an alternative choice. I personally know of two that have done just that.
You are lucky, long may you stay that way.
I did military service but not as an aviator and loved every minute. Yes, it is very secure and the money and opportunities are great too. But...do it young!!!

I have no regrets, I think I learned when fate wanted me to. There's no other place that I would rather be then right here, right now, enjoying the journey.

"What would you do if you knew you could not fail?"

I'm a regional FO who's getting ready to call it quits and go for medicine. For me, the choice has more to do with ambition than anything else. Flying for a living is actually very easy...not much of a challenge (most of the time). I'm the type of person who needs challenge on an intellectual level, and being a physician is all about "life-long learning" (a hated cliche in medicine). After I finish all my training, and after I pay off all the debt I will incur, and after a lenthy career as a physician, I'll probably end up breaking even compared to continuing my career in aviation. I could end up becoming a dermatologist or an orthopod and make tons. Or I could end up becoming a pediatrician or an internist or go into emergency medicine and top out around 120,000. Just depends on what interests me the most during med school.

Medicine comes with headaches...I'm sure you're aware of them. Malpractice premiums (absolutely skyrocketing at this point), managed care, insurance companies that won't pay, etc. So does aviation: unstable at best; a seniority system that doesn't care about merit; very little if any control over your day to day schedule/life; very little prestige; FAA/company constantly cirling your tickets like vultures.

But they're both great professions.

Maybe I'll follow every doctor's advice...become an orthodontist.

I never said anything about nuclear thunderstorms. I spoke of storms that have the energy of multiple nuclear bursts. Scientific fact, not my colorful conjecture or opinion. That would be most normal, every day garden variety thunderstorms.
Nothing superhuman about that; why is it that some idiots here need to misquote that into something bizarre and unusual. Yes, of course I've flown over a thunderstorm. Haven't you???

Sleeping in airplanes? You betcha. Living out of them, too...for 10 months out of the year. Sleeping in them, under them, where ever. Criminey, I was living in a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** hangar for about a year following the collapse of my marriage.

I never said anything about changing engines in hurricanes. Why feel the need to put words in my mouth? I spoke of working on a ladder that's lashed to an engine in 40 knot winds...and that would be -20 weather, working on wet, leaky radial engines. Lashed, because the ladder walks in the wind, and the airplane is moving around. Or doing the same thing in 115 degree weather in the sun. Or for long stretches in hangars, or wherever. It's called a job. Never done a job, before??

Did I say anything about the X-1? Didn't think so, you dunce.

Full of myself because I feel immensely grateful for the experiences I've been fortuante enough to have? Full of myself because I esteem them as priceless, and believe whole heartedly that nobody could ever pay me enough to give them up or take another course in life? What do you know? Eat dirt.

Good composer but not someone who actually flies? You know this thing? Tell me about it.

I don't believe I ever described seeing the top of a thunderstorm in a C-119...didn't do it. But read into the post what one will...facts seldom seem to matter.

I gotta agree with Avbug. The life of an airline pilot, or even regional or corporate, is completly different than that of an Airtanker pilot. I've only been in the tanker business for 4 years and reading his post gave me flash backs. I seen things in my short term that have made my jaw hit the floor board of the cockpit, and never managed to pick it up knowing the fact that I havent seen anything yet. Hot cockpits, long hours, and hellatious conditions that, until you've done it, you can not begin to comprehend.

I can see how some of you may be jaded. I watched 90% of the enrollment at my flight school go from a 172 to a dutchess to a Brazillia or RJ and onward. There is a huge world of aviation out there, and sometimes, passion and pure love for it can end you up living in a hangar and changing cylinders all night. Beyond the cushy glass cockpit, there are alot of guys out there like avbug. Guys that love to work an airplane, and love a working airplane. The point is, before you jump down a guys throat, think outside the box, or your EFIS tube.

Regret simply is not in a real aviators vocabulary.

Pilot or MD I've been trying to make the decision for years.

I work with Dick Carl probably one of the most proment physician pilots. He 's a writer for Flying Magazine. I recently asked him how he made the decision to become a MD over a pilot he said he believes that medicine is more challenging. I'm junior in both fields and I concur with his statement. So If you get borred easily and are looking for a extremely challenging field become a MD and buy a GA plane

I love both career fields. If you do not completely love to do one Do not it. I'd say the only stipulation is if you want a family and want to be home most nights when your kids are growing up become a MD. You'll never have to worry about supporting them and you'll be able to see them grow up.

If your looking for wealth and stability become an MD or better yet a Dentist.

In contrast I hear more regret in physician's carreer decisions then I do pilots. It's funny MDs employeed making a ton of cash, but their unhappy. Pilots unemployeed/furloughed no cash and still happy with their carreer decision.
Go ask the same question on an MD disscussion board and you'll find a greater percentage of MD's say to become a pilot.

For me to make the decision to become a pilot is definately the more selfish decsion.

Good luck Herman Bloom on becoming a Doc. Enjoy your time at home with your family, and away from nasty hotel rooms!

do what you love, love what you do...all the rest is just fluff ;)

Latest resources

Back