• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot to Nurse

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with your post.

Aviation has not gone to the dogs, is still a respectable career even if it doesn't pay the best, has not much to do with "PFT" whether some of us choose to do that or not.

I busted my butt, paid my dues, made mostly good career choices, and have enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. It's 90 percent about attitude, no matter what you do.

The best captains I've flown with in the regional world love what they do in spite of circumstance... and I strive to be like them. It's what you make of it!

Sorry, now back to the original topic. Pilot to Nurse...?

I agree and disagree.

I think there is pride in the profession in terms of the training, knowledge, skill, experience, and professionalism it takes to move people from A to B on a regular basis (large planes or small planes, prop or jet, 1 or 500 pax, 1 mile or 6000 miles).

But I disagree (think the job has gone to the dogs) because:

A nurse DOES NOT have to sit in the hospital cafe and listen to a "rival" nurse, LPN or Orderly cheer with glee about the possibility of taking over the said nurse's job. Unlike the way I walk the terminal or sit in the food court (or read on this board) and overhear the contract kiddies giggle with gee about getting 190's.

Put it this way: Ain't no other nurses lining up outside the ICU to take over my mothers job, however it seems to me that there are plenty of pilots (and contract airline CEO's/COO's) with salivating mouths waiting for my job (E190 fo) to be outsourced.

And thus the piloting profession (especially at the airlines) has "gone to the dogs".

in which planet do you live just look was is going on in the industry , you may like to fly a/c but at the end of the day the pay is enough to put food on the table ?

Actually, very good points. My second job as a sim instructor is what puts food on the table. :)

Difficult to compare professions between medical and aviation. As a side note I just saw an interesting news article the other day about which professions someone would want to marry into... doctor was at the top (and other related medical fields, I would imagine). Did not see pilots make the list, gosh durn.

You should definitely go for the BSN if you do it. Reasons:

1) better, more thorough training
2) Generally more and better job options (ICUs, Cardiac cath labs, etc.)
3) And the winner: the option of getting a masters-level degree and becoming a Nurse Practitioner (just like a PA in terms of job options) or - and here's the kicker - a Nurse Anesthetist (or "CRNA")

CRNAs average 120 - 150K depending on location and can earn as much as 200. They do anesthesia in the ORs under the indirect supervision of Anesthesiologists. That said, you will need a BSN and some critical care experience even to be considered, and it is obviously quite competitive.

NPs (nurse practitioners) often earn 80 to 100K and see their own patients under the supervision of a physician (just like a PA).

Otherwise you should consider becoming a PA which gives you the same options as an NP with only 2 years of formal training. And they can earn very well in the surgical subspecialties (like orthopaedics, dermatology, cardiac surgery: upwards of 200K in some instances, but its very situation-specific).

Or you can go to med school for 4 years, do a 3 to 7 year residency and become some sort of surgeon, and make half a mill. Warning: this path is VERY difficult. More so than most people can possibly imagine.

Good luck!

BSN training is not more thorugh. Your a better paper pusher. ADNs are more clinically prepared.

In the realm of better job options; ICU, Cath Lab and ICU, CCU or OR employer could care less if you have a ADN or BSN. The pay is the same. They would prefer it if you seek a management position but that is a preference kind of like a minimum time for an airline.

If your lucky enough to get a CRNA slot or PA slot you better have a sugar mama because you will not be able to work for 32 to 36 months; length of program.

The cost of training (including cost of living expenses) that you would incur during CRNA training is well worth the bump in income you would realize. You are more than doubling your income for the rest of your career. Not to mention the much cushier job description. It's an investment in education with a huge reward.

Telling people to get less education is never good advice. And I can promise you that your collegues (fellow nurses, physicians, midlevels) know the difference between an RN and a BSN.

I am trying to figure out what type of job I should do while going through school. I plan on leaving the airline and going to school full time while working part time somewhere. I know that there are online places to do most of the nursing program, but honestly I am doing online classes right now and I don't see that working so well with a demanding nursing program.

Some folks I have talked to go the CNA route, but other say to stay away from that. Does anyone have insight on jobs such as a pharmacy tech, lab tech or anything like that. I heard that once you complete your first quarter and with a pharmcology class you could be a tech. Is there any truth that? I am looking for something that would give me about 25 to 30 hours a week.

Honestly, most nursing programs only have a small amount of content online. There is a significant amount of time you will need to spend each week doing hands-on things in hospitals. For example, often first semester students where I work have one day a week of hospital time. Second semister two days, and so on.

From my experience, students can work a few hours a week, but they tend to do better if they don't have to work too much (just a generalization, I don't know you so I can't make a more personal recommendation). Consider, if you have a BA or BS degree already, doing a 1-1/2 year direct-entry program or accelerated BSN program. You'll be done faster, get a better education (generally), and be taught the critical thinking skills that make the difference between an associate-degree RN and a BSN.

Then, once you have your degree, have some experience working (at least a year) a move to the ICU, CCU, or other specialized area will be much, much easier and you will be much more able to handle the mental stress that comes with the job.

Much luck to you. We need you!!

Well, I just sat through an information session over at Beckfield College in Florence. I was the 3rd pilot in a week to enroll in their RN program. The Director told me that a DHL pilot and another Comair pilot enrolled last week.

There were quite a few others in the class that were there from other schools in the area to include NKU, Cincinnati State and Brown Macke College. One of the students at C. State was actually told to add a minor in Computer Science while waiting to start her clinicals(2 to 3 year waiting list) to be more competitive. It sounds like most other schools have huge waiting list in the middle of their BSN programs so now people are getting their RN at places like Beckfield, Gateway and a few others and then taking a 1 year RN to BSN program once they are employed as a full time RN. So a BSN in 3 years vs. 5 or 6.

Telling people to get less education is never good advice. And I can promise you that your collegues (fellow nurses, physicians, midlevels) know the difference between an RN and a BSN.

I gotta ask, what qualifies you to make this statement?

When I interviewed for my first Physical Therapist jobs, there were essentially two questions asked,

1. Are you currently licensed?

2. When can you start?

No one asked to see diplomas, transcripts, GPA's, or cared where I went to school.

After 7 years of observation, I can honestly say RN's run the business.
You've made an excellent career choice.

Latest resources

Back