Pilot sticks it to mgmt!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FL420 said:
I have flown with Randy Ott numerous times. He is a fine person and a fine pilot. He did the right thing in not only sticking up for himself but sticking up for all of us who may have not had, at one time or another, the guts to say "enough - I won't fly an unsafe aircraft."

He had no problem getting hired by TransMeridian in the B757 and when they folded in October, he had no problem getting on with Evergreen in the B747.

The lawsuit has pretty much consumed all his time and attention the last few years. He was fortunate enough to be represented by some very experienced lawyers who believed in him and the merits of his case. The list of expert witnesses who testified on his behalf is truly impressive. No doubt the readers of this board would recognize most of the names on the list.

The amount of the award is immaterial. The value is in the message to operators who are willing to compromise the safety of passengers and crew to save a few bucks.

Appeal of the award is a given. It will be reduced and attorneys fees and expert witness fees will eat most of the rest.

Randy Ott is a fine person/all around GREAT guy but not to be confused with the much OLDER Randy OTTO.

capt. megadeth said:
IF........IF the guy's career is truly over....then MAYBE he may deserve (I am going to say the word that makes me seriously want to vomit) COMPENSATION. I am just so disgusted by the many frivolous lawsuits that I just hear the word "sue", "lawyer", "compensation", etc. and my blood pressure goes up. Everything I have I have worked my a$$ off for. I was not given anything nor do I have the desire to be just given something. I am truly sickened by people's sense of entitlement these days and lack of accountability. It also extremely disturbs me that someone would become a millionaire because unfortunately something $hitty happened to them. I do feel that a lot of juries award amounts of money that are excessive. Of course, every situation is different and I am not necessarily talking about this case in particular.....just overall, I find it all truly sad, out of control and disturbing. In the end, thanks to these people that get rich (lawyers, plaintiffs, etc), all of us pay (increased insurance rates, etc, etc.). Now, after all of that jibber jabber, if you all don't understand my outlook on this, I am not explaining myself further because you just won't understand no matter what I say.

the fact that you have worked so hard for what you have means you should be able to defend those gains in a court of law if some foolish company tries to ruin your career for making proper, correct, and safe decisions.

i think this example is far different from the ambulance chasing, hot coffee spilling, i may have bad dreams forever type lawsuits.

PHXFLYR said:
She may be a tool.....but at least she's OUR tool. What would Flt Info be without our dear beloved "Captain's" thought provoking and witty insights...

Seriously, though..... Happy New Year Megadeth!!

PHXFLYR:cool:

Awwww, shucks.......you're such a sweet stallion.

Happy New Year!

The gentleman in question is named Otto, not Ott.

Randy Ott is a fine person/all around GREAT guy but not to be confused with the much OLDER Randy OTTO.

My apologies to both Randy Ott and to Randy Otto. I guess I was tired and steamed when I wrote that. Besides, what are the chances of two guys with almost exactly the same name being in the same company at the same time?

Dont forget that things arent always as they seem. I do know that this guy at one time continued a flight to Hawaii with engine trouble, prior to his ETP.

bigboeings said:
Dont forget that things arent always as they seem. I do know that this guy at one time continued a flight to Hawaii with engine trouble, prior to his ETP.

Well now that you have called this pilot's reputation into question maybe you could share some of the details, like what kind of airplane and how you have defined "engine trouble" in this case? Was there an investigation after the fact and did the other crewmembers complain regarding his actions?

Just wondering.

AlbieF15 said:
Final point--Chuck Yogurt--do you EVER post anything positve? Lots of folks here looking for good info...don't know where you work but suspect you have something positive to contribute. Try it--you may like it....

Albie:
He can't... But he's real good at hiding behind a couple of screen names...You can check him out at chuck yogurt,lawman, and now sky fly!

I have not read all the comments but a jury award like this is likely diminished in appeal as being excessive. Juries are always told to send a message to the world that this is wrong and they give these huge awards. The fact is that most of the time they are reduced or not paid.

Let go back to bashing the French.......

For sale- French military rifles, great condition, never fired, dropped once.

yea, how dare those French: if they had not messed with our revolution we would be speaking English instead of American.

Latest resources

Back