• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot sticks it to mgmt!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capn Megadeth is good people--lay off!!! But I have to disagee with her. That guy deserves every penny. The emotiional distress he went through losing his job needs more than 12 million!

Andy said:
BBB, Desert Shield started 2 August 1990. Desert Storm went from 16 Jan 91 to 24 Feb 91, when Operation Desert Sabre (the land war) began. Desert Saber ended on 28 Feb 91.
If you're referring to the Southwest Asia Service Medal, it includes time from 2 August 1990 through 30 November 1995, and is divided into three separate dates. (Defense of Saudi Arabia, Liberation of Kuwait, and SWA Cease-Fire). I have a star on my SWASM because I participated in two of those three events.
Even lumping Desert Shield, Storm and Sabre together, you're only talking a stretch of 2 Aug 90 to 28 Feb 91; a period of 7 months. I can't remember what the flight time waivers were, but I don't think that the 90 day lookback allowed more than ~350 hours (30 day was ~150). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I left the operational world in '91 to fly white jets until '94. When I returned to the ops world, I flew out of Saudi enough 94-98 to apply for Saudi citizenship. (I got to the point where I knew PSAB blindfolded). Even after leaving active duty, I flew Operation Northern Watch missions in 2002; SWA ops have been continuous since Operation Desert Shield.
I guess that I could say that I've got over 1000 hours flying in Desert Storm, but there's no way that I could look myself in the mirror and call that even close to factually correct.

(I wasted way too much time researching this minutia; it wasn't an attack on you, BBB; I understand where you're coming from. For me, this was more of an exercise to dig up some Cliff Claven trivia. I lost my AF flying records long ago, so I've got no earthly idea of how any of my time was classified.)

I guess I'm wrong also ... but when someone asks I just lump all my SWASM time generically as "Desert Storm" time. Chicks dig war heros you know! As far as living with myself ... well, I can barely stand to look at myself in the mirror on a good day! (lol)

Take care Andy!

BBB

capt. megadeth said:
Now, someone please tell me why someone deserves to become a millionaire because...

It all depends on who's wearing the epaulets.

If you're an airline passenger with internal injuries, you're an asshole for suing.

If you gots a nice white shirt, replete with festive adornments and wing devices, you're a hero for suing.

It's all in how you look at it.

Personally, I don't hold any judgment against the guy. He suffered a loss, was able to prove it in court and won a settlement. It's not like he was hanging out at a Sears store waiting for the janitor to mop so he could fake a "slip and fall" injury.

millhouse21 said:
I could be wrong but I believe that in a whistle blower case, the "blower" does not actually get the money. The govt is the plaintiff and the money is actually a fine. I could be wrong, though

You are wrong.

capt. megadeth said:
Now, someone please tell me why someone deserves to become a millionaire because the wrongfully terminated him. I can see court, attorney costs, back pay for the time you were not employed and benefit money but $12 million? That is excessive, just like the mentality in America these days. Truly sad. Furthermore, the pilot did not stick it to management....they will be ok regardless. In truth, now the company will have less cash and stick it back to the pilots in the end. Meanwhile, the one dude that got screwed never has to work again. Bogus.

sour grapes megadeth? im sure you would refuse the $$$.

Pilotbob3 said:
sour grapes megadeth? im sure you would refuse the $$$.

Yeah, sour grapes. I am jealous because I really want to be part of the me me me, everyone owes me, I am not accountable for anything, it's never my fault, I should be rich for nothing crowd.

Everytime someone has something $hitty happen to them thinks they are "entitled" to "compensation". If that is the case, I wish I could get fired.

I guess all the passengers on the SWA flight that crashed should be millionaires too, huh?

capt. megadeth said:
I guess all the passengers on the SWA flight that crashed should be millionaires too, huh?
Not really.

Remember the ValuJet crash?

I remember that there was discussion on how the victims families were not going to get the usual 1.5 million per victim because ValueJet was a discount airline and the passengers were discount people. I'm not shooting you here, that was what was said.

Be that as it may, SWA is a discount airline and it carries discount passengers. Motion over-ruled, 500,000.00 for the plaintiffs...not a penny more. :smash:

Depends

J32driver said:
He deserves 12 million because no other air carrier will ever hire him. NAA has very likely ended his aviation career. How much is 30 years of flying plus retirement worth to you?
Well....If you work at NWA about $25,000 if you invest wisely in your 401K!:crying:

Chuck Yogourt said:
He could probably go to work at Airtran. Don't they hire trash? I mean, that's how they started anyway.
Chuck, whats your beef with Airtran. Didnt get hired?

Latest resources

Back