• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

b737drivr

$12.5 million jury award in termination/whistleblower case

Robert P. Mark
12/23/2005​
A Superior Court jury in Oakland, California returned a verdict of over $12.5 million against North American Airlines (“NAA”), a wholly owned subsidiary of World Air Holdings, Inc. for the wrongful termination of an airline captain who had blown the whistle on what he claimed were the airline’s unsafe maintenance practices.

The plaintiff, Captain Randall Otto, is a former U.S. Air Force Command Pilot with over 1000 hours flown in Desert Storm. Two years after being hired by North American Airlines and four months after he was promoted to Captain, he was suspended and later fired after reporting what he considered a serious safety violation involving the dispatch of a Boeing 757 with an unresolved flight control problem.

The six man, six woman jury was unanimous in finding liability against North American Airlines during the six week trial. After 6 hours of deliberation on the compensatory damages, the jury returned a verdict on December 13, 2005 of $5,576,348. The trial resumed the next day on the issues of punitive damages and the jury later returned with a verdict of $7,000,000 in punitive damages against the carrier

b737drivr said:
$12.5 million jury award in termination/whistleblower case

Robert P. Mark​
12/23/2005
A Superior Court jury in Oakland, California returned a verdict of over $12.5 million against North American Airlines (“NAA”), a wholly owned subsidiary of World Air Holdings, Inc. for the wrongful termination of an airline captain who had blown the whistle on what he claimed were the airline’s unsafe maintenance practices.

The plaintiff, Captain Randall Otto, is a former U.S. Air Force Command Pilot with over 1000 hours flown in Desert Storm. Two years after being hired by North American Airlines and four months after he was promoted to Captain, he was suspended and later fired after reporting what he considered a serious safety violation involving the dispatch of a Boeing 757 with an unresolved flight control problem.

The six man, six woman jury was unanimous in finding liability against North American Airlines during the six week trial. After 6 hours of deliberation on the compensatory damages, the jury returned a verdict on December 13, 2005 of $5,576,348. The trial resumed the next day on the issues of punitive damages and the jury later returned with a verdict of $7,000,000 in punitive damages against the carrier

Gives me warm fuzzies all over my body. Like to hear more details of the maintenance issue. Anyone got a link to this info?

Now, someone please tell me why someone deserves to become a millionaire because the wrongfully terminated him. I can see court, attorney costs, back pay for the time you were not employed and benefit money but $12 million? That is excessive, just like the mentality in America these days. Truly sad. Furthermore, the pilot did not stick it to management....they will be ok regardless. In truth, now the company will have less cash and stick it back to the pilots in the end. Meanwhile, the one dude that got screwed never has to work again. Bogus.

He deserves 12 million because no other air carrier will ever hire him. NAA has very likely ended his aviation career. How much is 30 years of flying plus retirement worth to you?

capt. megadeth said:
Now, someone please tell me why someone deserves to become a millionaire because the wrongfully terminated him. I can see court, attorney costs, back pay for the time you were not employed and benefit money but $12 million? That is excessive, just like the mentality in America these days. Truly sad. Furthermore, the pilot did not stick it to management....they will be ok regardless. In truth, now the company will have less cash and stick it back to the pilots in the end. Meanwhile, the one dude that got screwed never has to work again. Bogus.

I've only got one thing to say...Capt. Megamouth, you're a tool.

capt. megadeth said:

Not excessive in the least. This is a good thing. If they got away with a lower settlement what kind of deterrent value is that? As a captain I have the reasonable expectation of flying an airworthy aircraft. The company was rightfully punished for trying to force a captain to break the regs and possibly risk life and limb. I am fortunate to work for a company with a good safety culture. Maybe this settlement will change NAA's attitude towards pressuring pilots to fly an unairworthy aircraft.

I could be wrong but I believe that in a whistle blower case, the "blower" does not actually get the money. The govt is the plaintiff and the money is actually a fine. I could be wrong, though

Capt Megadeath : As other have pointed out, this captain will never get hired by another airline. His career is most likely over due to his termination. NAA screwed him out of his livelyhood and retirement. And any airline that fires captains for refusing to fly unairworthy aircraft deserves to be raked over the coals. A monkey can push buttons and pull levers and fly an airplane. That is not what we as airline pilots are paid for. We are paid to use our experience and judgement to operate the aircraft in a safe manner. NAA fired the captain for doing his job correctly. No way do I see this as excessive.

Latest resources

Back