• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Slots & Previous Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You do not need to join a unit prior to getting a slot, you don't have be a senators kid (i'm not), and yes you will know what are you going to fly. Pick up a copy of flying in the guard and reserve and go from there. I just an average kid and it worked out for me.

Hey Guys (and gals)-

For quite a few years now (initially under a different username) I came to FlightInfo and read threads-- daily. Never posted, just read. And I've been searching for the answer to a question I have but haven't been able to find good info on the topic, so I'm coming to you guys for help. If this has been covered in a previous thread, please feel free to post the link.

So here's the deal. I'm 20 years old, working on ratings up through Commercial/ Mulit/CFII. I'm a year and a half out from graduating ERAU's online program (I'm just now transferring to them from CSU Sacramento). Up until a few months ago, my master plan was typical -- build up the 1000 hours total/ 100 multi, and hit up the regionals for a job with hopes of making it the majors some years later.

However, I've always had the military in the back of my mind. Lately, I've become much more attracted to this option. One primary concern I have however, is actually ensuring that if I go in... I want to make sure I don't get screwed over.. and I want a dang pilot slot! I'm in great shape, perfect vision, good academics, etc. Bottom line -- once college is done with, I want to fly. And I'd be more proud than anything to do that while serving my country. BUT, I want to make sure if I did commit 4 - 10 years of my life to the services, I'd be flying. So I'm coming to you guys asking... what is the best way to do that?

So, for my questions. If I approach a branch with ratings up through CFII, Multi, plus around 400 hours (50-100 multi)... plus a college degree in Prof. Aeronautics from ERAU... can I get some sort of guaranteed pilot slot BEFORE signing on the dotted line? Would my training be expedited once signed up? Would I be more or possibly less attractive of a candidate with all these ratings?

Again, I really wouldn't mind going to the regionals and taking the ordinary civilian airline pilot route. However, I'd LOVE to serve my country and fly while doing it. Now I just need to know how to go about doing that.

Thanks in advance for your input.

You do not need to join a unit prior to getting a slot, you don't have be a senators kid (i'm not), and yes you will know what are you going to fly. Pick up a copy of flying in the guard and reserve and go from there. I just an average kid and it worked out for me.

This is true, but I can tell you that it is much harder to get a slot with the Air National Guard coming in off the street. In my commissioning class, about 80% of the pilot selectees were prior enlisted.

My unit will hire off the street but 4 out of the last 5 have been from within the wing.

Look into the Reserves. You have a much better chance of getting picked up "off the street" than with the Guard. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but with my personal experience, the Reserves were way more open to hiring someone off the street than the guard. I'll probably get some crap for saying this too; while your ratings make you competitive with most of the dudes out there, with the Guard/Reserve it's more of if you are not a sh!tbag.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you apply for the Active Duty Air Force, but not through ROTC or the Academy, you will know exactly what job you will be doing before "signing your life away". Oh yeah, when you list your preference of jobs, list Pilot and nothing else. Most of the stuff that has been posted is pretty much right on.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Talk to that Officer Ascensions Recruiter and get yourself signed up to take the AFOQT and BAT, and study hard for the AFOQT.

You need to join an Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve unit. DO NOT talk to active duty recruiters or ROTC instructors. You need to locate the Guard or Reserve units and talk with their Chief Pilots about applying.
Great advice here. Don't go to a recruiter that will tell you, "Just sign up to get in the military. Once you're in the system it'll be easier for you to get a pilot slot." They have numbers they need to make and I wouldn't put it by them to try to use that as the carrot to get you to sign up.

Good luck. Be advised though, there is a lot more than just flying if you're military pilot/officer. The additional duties are plentiful...and most not fun for a pilot.

This is true, but I can tell you that it is much harder to get a slot with the Air National Guard coming in off the street. In my commissioning class, about 80% of the pilot selectees were prior enlisted.

My unit will hire off the street but 4 out of the last 5 have been from within the wing.

I agree with you and I was very fortunate to get in off the street but it can and does happy on a regular basis. It just takes an awful lot of persistance, it took almost two years for me to find a unit to take me in.

Was in your shoes 18 years ago. I couldn't get into the Air Force or Navy cause my college grades blew, but I was able to get into the Army Warrant Officer Flight Training Program. I also didn't want to go in unless I flew, and in the Army that was the only program that guaranteed it. Warrant Officers in the Army....all they do is fly, aside from the additionlal duties someone else mentioned. I'm in the Guard now still flying Helos and flying CRJ's for a regional. I like the diversity of doing both. Good Luck

how is the life at a regional and the guard? Do you commute? Do you have any free days off during the months? I would guess that staying current in the guard+regional flying leaves very few days off.
Back to the original thread, I am in the guard about to leave for UPT and I am off the street. In most cases you really do have to "rush" a guard unit to get picked up off the street. What has been said is good stuff. Units want to make sure they can live in a tent with you/ have a cold one on TDY's. It really is a "good ol' boy" system.

Duece - what airplane are you flying at your unit?

how is the life at a regional and the guard? Do you commute? Do you have any free days off during the months? I would guess that staying current in the guard+regional flying leaves very few days off.
Back to the original thread, I am in the guard about to leave for UPT and I am off the street. In most cases you really do have to "rush" a guard unit to get picked up off the street. What has been said is good stuff. Units want to make sure they can live in a tent with you/ have a cold one on TDY's. It really is a "good ol' boy" system.

Latest resources

Back