Pilot Slots & Previous Experience

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two things:

#1 You aren't going to be able to find a deal out there that guarantees that you are going to fly before signing up. quote]

This is actually inaccurate in regards to the Air Force. You just have to talk to an officer accessions recruiter and when you apply you just put down pilot. If you are selected the only part that is not a guarantee is if you are medically disqualified from Brooks or wash out of pilot training for that matter.

I was and have many friends who applied off the street for an Active Duty Pilot slot with the Air Force and got selected and when the time came to sign on the dotted line it was only for a pilot slot.

If you were to get selected for a pilot slot and were eliminated by one of the stupid tests at Brooks you would have a good chance of leaving the AF without any commitment.

As L'il J.Seinfeld said, I would look for a guard unit. I was selected for Active duty but ended up turning it down when my guard unit awarded me a slot. I personally believe the guard is the best way to go, and am very glad I did not go the active route.

Your commitment in the Navy is gonna be between 6-8 years depending on what community you go to. .

Good info from SIG-

Currently, the Navy commitment is 8yrs after winging for Pilots regardless of platform.

KSAC,

I don't agree with L'il J.Seinfeld's advice- The Guard/ Reserves are a great deal, but don't limit your options this early in the game without doing all of your research.

You might want look into the Navy's BDCP program and Marine Corps PLC programs since you haven't graduated yet. Navy OCS and Marine Corps OCC would also be options once you complete you degree if those don't work out.

Whatever you do though, make sure you talk to an Officer Recruiter if you give the active side a serious look.

http://www.airwarriors.com has a lot of info related to Naval Aviation (Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard) and Officer accession programs if your interested.

Hey guys,

Thanks again for the info. As for the guard, when applying are pilot slots generally full time? How does that work? Also-- which branch (including reserves) do you think will help the most in regards to prior experience & flight ratings?

Thanks again..

Q: "As for the guard, when applying are pilot slots generally full time?"

A: No, not generally. However if a full scale invasion or conflict happens to be taking place when you graduate pilot training and aircraft specific training then you might find yourself on full time status for up to 2 years in support of the conflict. I've just recently been released from a 2 year activation and am easing into life as a traditional guardsman, which for my unit entails roughly 6 to 9 days a month to stay proficient. Each units mission will dictate how much time you need to spend there to stay current/proficient.

Q:"How does that work? Also-- which branch (including reserves) do you think will help the most in regards to prior experience & flight ratings?"

A:Not sure what you mean by "help the most", but your experience won't hurt your chances of performing well in military flight training. Working hard, studying the airplanes and profiles, and being a team player all helped this guy through the unforgettable year that was Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (JSUPT). Another tidbit of knowledge that may be helpful to all who are about to begin UPT: DO NOT broadcast to your peers and instructors that you have thousands of hours in a cessna/piper. I know it's going to be hard not to talk about yourselves, but your IP's won't give 2 $hips about it.

Thanks again..[/quote]
You are quite welcome!

Q: "As for the guard, when applying are pilot slots generally full time?"

A: No, not generally. However if a full scale invasion or conflict happens to be taking place when you graduate pilot training and aircraft specific training then you might find yourself on full time status for up to 2 years in support of the conflict. I've just recently been released from a 2 year activation and am easing into life as a traditional guardsman, which for my unit entails roughly 6 to 9 days a month to stay proficient. Each units mission will dictate how much time you need to spend there to stay current/proficient.

Q:"How does that work? Also-- which branch (including reserves) do you think will help the most in regards to prior experience & flight ratings?"

A:Not sure what you mean by "help the most", but your experience won't hurt your chances of performing well in military flight training. Working hard, studying the airplanes and profiles, and being a team player all helped this guy through the unforgettable year that was Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training (JSUPT). Another tidbit of knowledge that may be helpful to all who are about to begin UPT: DO NOT broadcast to your peers and instructors that you have thousands of hours in a cessna/piper. I know it's going to be hard not to talk about yourselves, but your IP's won't give 2 $hips about it.

Thanks again..
You are quite welcome![/quote]

Prior experience doesn't really matter a bit in pilot training aside from a little more airmanship during your initial few months in the primary jet (either the T-6 or T-37). I went into UPT at Sheppard with my Multiengine Instrument with about 400 hours of civilian time and it helped somewhat through the instrument phase. After that, almost everyone is equal - and you're going to have to learn the military way of flying which will be just as new to you as a guy with 5 hours of prior experience.

Once you're in your advanced trainer, i.e. T-38's...prior experience makes no difference whatsoever...

Once you're in your advanced trainer, i.e. T-38's...prior experience makes no difference whatsoever...

Yup, if you are fortunate enough to fly the mighty Talon, almost 50(!!) years old and still one of the prettiest jets ever to fly, it becomes the great equalizer. Picture a telephone pole on the ground. Climb on front, straddle it, and launch. The view, roll rate and lift all feel about like that.

Still the fastest rolling AC ever made, something like 720 degrees/sec. Roll too fast and it'll couple and ball up midair.

Strengths: Great formation platform due to responsive engines and great vis.
Weaknesses: Flies like a telephone pole! ;)

Is a rudder hard-over still on the T-38's list of catastrophic emergencies? We lost a good guy at Holloman due to a hard-over.

Both the T-38 and A-4 claim 720 degrees per second.

I've never been able to make the '38 do two rolls in a second, personally.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back