Pilot shortage!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Riddy,

So go get 200 more PIC and kwitcherbitchin. The upgrade here is less than a year, and we all had to have 1000 PIC before even applying. Not SIC, not FE. Quality over quantity, you might say. Even a little startup like "jetBlow" has standards, you see.

You might also want to read the website for comprehension this time. You don't need 1000 PIC in large turbine aircraft. You need 1000 hrs in large turbine aircraft, and 1000 PIC turbine. They are not the same.

BTW, most interviewees nowadays have 2000+ hrs of turbine PIC time, and a lot have more large jet experience than you. Better get cracking.

Last edited:
PIC = time spent 100% responsible for decisions and outcomes of same.

There is NO substitute. Why 1000 and not 400 or 2000? That I cannot say....but PIC time is the single most valuable type of time out there.

As a military guy, I was concerned about my lack of total time compared to my heavy driving brethren. What I learned was airlines seem to care more about PIC that TT, which meant that right seat time my competitors had didn't matter as much as I thought. When you stack up the PIC turbine verse PIC turbine a fighter guy like me was actually pretty close to some C141/C5 types.

Jeff G did regionals for a while as a civilian guy and upgrade to captain....and likewise got hired (as a young guy I might add). So...for what its worth....to my untrained eye it seems like working at a commuter/regional as a Capt is way preferable to some companies than time spent in right seat. I know a USAir guy who has been a right seater for 14 years. I don't fault him...since he was already at a "major" and not thinking about leaving, but if I were looking for work I'd go where I could get the PIC time the soonest. I just don't think that logbook full of FO or SO time buys you much in this market.

A correction to my last post. On further reflection, when I was hired, the criteria wasn't 1000 PIC turbine, it was 500 PIC or 1500 SIC. I didn't want to be inaccurate. I had about 800 PIC when I interviewed and about 1200 when I started with JB. But the point isn't that you're unworthy at 800 PIC (and I'd be a first class hypocrite if I said so), it's that it's pointless to rail against the unfairness of it all. I don't know why the cutoff is 1000 PIC and it doesn't matter. There are thousands of very experienced pilots out of work right now, so there's little to gain by splitting hairs. All you can do is get the most, best experience you can and then present yourself in the best light if you get the chance. Good luck to you, Riddy.

Latest resources

Back