• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that a good part of the reason that the pay is high is because fewer people want to make the required move, thus less applicants. If US bases were opened, then there would be more applicants and the compensation would go down. Simply put, supply and demand.

I would agree that compensation would likely go down. So they could kill 2 birds with one stone. They'd have plenty of pilots to fly their aircraft AND they could pay a lower total compensation package. Seems like a win-win for foreign airline management.

I would bet that whatever total compensation package they would end up offering would still likely be better than United's or US Air's, for example.

Last edited:
The little perks make a big difference don't they?

Rarely an MEL (I average about one or two MEL's per year)
Plenty of fuel on arrival
Always a clean cockpit
Motivated cabin and costumer service personnel
Never waited for ground crews to park us (not even once on the past 5 years)
Never waited for ground transportation anymore than 10 minutes (95% of the time they are already waiting)
They run a flight crew oriented operation, you ask for more fuel, different route, whatever it may be and they just go and get it done for you, that is it!
They dry clean your uniforms for you
They just don't bother you on your days off
Business class commute and you get to keep the miles and that brings many other perks once you get Diamond status.

I know not all the jobs abroad are good and that working overseas is not for everyone but there are few of us that actually enjoy it

Well, I hate to say it because me and mother United are not friends right now, but a lot of the stuff you list above is true for our international operation as well, or at least what I see. Well, not the "flight crew orientated operation" part :)

Domestic United, however, is an entirely different world.

The little perks make a big difference don't they?

Rarely an MEL (I average about one or two MEL's per year)
Plenty of fuel on arrival
Always a clean cockpit
Motivated cabin and costumer service personnel
Never waited for ground crews to park us (not even once on the past 5 years)
Never waited for ground transportation anymore than 10 minutes (95% of the time they are already waiting)
They run a flight crew oriented operation, you ask for more fuel, different route, whatever it may be and they just go and get it done for you, that is it!
They dry clean your uniforms for you
They just don't bother you on your days off
Business class commute and you get to keep the miles and that brings many other perks once you get Diamond status.

I know not all the jobs abroad are good and that working overseas is not for everyone but there are few of us that actually enjoy it

Hey, I assume your an ANA guy by your avatar. Why does ANA need foreign pilots to fly their jets? Don't they make their own pilots?

Hey, I assume your an ANA guy by your avatar. Why does ANA need foreign pilots to fly their jets? Don't they make their own pilots?
I fly for an ANA subsidiary yes, the growth at mainline ANA coupled with their retirements and their current hiring numbers has them in a deficit, hence the need to hire foreign crews

I would agree that compensation would likely go down. So they could kill 2 birds with one stone. They'd have plenty of pilots to fly their aircraft AND they could pay a lower total compensation package. Seems like a win-win for foreign airline management.

I would bet that whatever total compensation package they would end up offering would still likely be better than United's or US Air's, for example.

Yes! We can also give away our loyalty bonuses and replace it with the insanity called a seniority list and seniority-based pay. We can also take a very small additional 2% pay cut to get fine representation by ALPA. God only knows how we could ever survive without them.

Experienced with plenty of PIC time on type? Sorry, experience really doesn't matter - only date of hire matters, and that's worth $25 per FLIGHT hour.

Then we can also do the whole "regional" second class citizen thing too where we'll have pilots making less than my Ukrainian FA.

Yes!!! How could I forget.... then we can also have 1960's trolly dolly hotties - yes, the very same ones from the 1960's with never-failing ability to hip check you every time they traverse the aisle. God help you if you ever ask for a Coke or a plated meal! :eek:

God bless the USA... :laugh:

Yes! We can also give away our loyalty bonuses and replace it with the insanity called a seniority list and seniority-based pay. We can also take a very small additional 2% pay cut to get fine representation by ALPA. God only knows how we could ever survive without them. God bless the USA... :laugh:
What a happy pilot without a union, how can that be? Isn't that against the laws of nature?

pilotyip said:
Fly because you like to, if you are in it for the respect, prestige, recognition or money you may be disappointed.

... and that is the problem is in this country for professional pilots.

Yes, I fly "because I like to":

- when I'm at home
- gliders, small GA planes or experimentals
- when it is purely for my enjoyment on my own time, and dime.

Never mix business with pleasure... ;)

... and that is the problem is in this country for professional pilots.

Yes, I fly "because I like to":

- when I'm at home
- gliders, small GA planes or experimentals
- when it is purely for my enjoyment on my own time, and dime.

Never mix business with pleasure... ;)
Then do you experience disappointment in your chosen profession?

Yes! We can also give away our loyalty bonuses and replace it with the insanity called a seniority list and seniority-based pay. We can also take a very small additional 2% pay cut to get fine representation by ALPA. God only knows how we could ever survive without them.

Experienced with plenty of PIC time on type? Sorry, experience really doesn't matter - only date of hire matters, and that's worth $25 per FLIGHT hour.

Then we can also do the whole "regional" second class citizen thing too where we'll have pilots making less than my Ukrainian FA.

Yes!!! How could I forget.... then we can also have 1960's trolly dolly hotties - yes, the very same ones from the 1960's with never-failing ability to hip check you every time they traverse the aisle. God help you if you ever ask for a Coke or a plated meal! :eek:

God bless the USA... :laugh:

Ummmmm.....OK.

Then do you experience disappointment in your chosen profession?

You know... in 2008, I would have said yes. But now that I've 'seen the 'light' and actually make a much better living than I ever could flying for a US airline, I have to say no.

It's actually pretty sad that one has to leave the US to make a good living as a pilot.

Latest resources

Back