• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot shortage?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and am I the only one who's finding it ironic that we're now discussing Fedex and Southwest as somehow the "Golden Egg" of jobs?

Really? I never even bothered to apply to either back in 1999 when I was getting on at American.... Who would have known?

I certainly didn't..

AND DONT LIE... you didn't' either!

Last edited:
And there is one place where Yip and I have to fully agree...

all you queens who try to paint yourself as somehow above those of us who didn't land the dream gig just because you did, somehow forget that 4/5ths of this industry is dumb luck...

Be careful how you judge others that ye not be likewise judged.
Thank you, sounds like you have been there done that, too bad you could not have worked as hard as wavy and landed that dream job.

Thank you, sounds like you have been there done that, too bad you could not have worked as hard as wavy and landed that dream job.

worked for two startups, both of which failed with in 2 years.... either of which could have been the next "Gig".... it's complex, and anyone who tries to say it's not is a bold face liar.

You guys go ahead and depend on luck-
I'll be working- and not resting on my laurels with the "golden egg" job-
If I were hiring, I'd require a 4 year degree- but I'd also examine the quality of it and what it meant to the person. Those who hire in the airlines tend to agree with me.
FMS- things change and they will change again-
Your success depends on your ability to keep your ear to the ground, build meaningful relationships, stay current, stay growing, keep the learning curve going up- but always stay in an airplane- try and make wise choices. Learn from all of it. Put pressure on your opportunities- then be patient.
Timing is part of it. There is no pilot shortage or hiring boom now- there will be again and your job is to be ready when that time comes.

Always, always keep learning and working on yourself. Strive to be a better human being in all areas every day- be driven to that broad end- and your career and life will be great.

Thanks for the words of encouragement wave. Will do!

As far as FedEx and Swa- these two highlight how to approach applying for a job in this career-
Two very different processes-
FedEx requires connections - if it's unchanged, then that means 3 people, the more influential the better, who will recommend you above everyone else.
That means networking and building on connections- laying the foundation of those genuine relationships years ahead of time. And it requires persistence and effort to keep up with.

SWA doesn't allow recommendations until you get the call- but that doesn't mean you shouldn't visit dallas with a SWA friend -
They're both about culture and being good people- cant have a rep that will burn you down-
But ANY airline pilot job requires you to know intimately the specific differences in their processes.

If you're not willing to do that basic work - they shouldn't invite you in or hire you.

I'm quite familiar with the process at all the jobs I apply to. Trust me, though you seem to think otherwise, in not taking the lazy approach.

...thus my point about the pilot shortage, or lack thereof.

What I meant about there still being guys with degrees, time, etc aplenty who still aren't someplace 'good' is that they will be working for 'lesser' airlines everywhere. Not that those people would be at home waiting for the phone to ring.

There are a whole lot more 'lesser' airlines than 'good' ones. It is true that there will never be a shortage for whomever the 'good' airlines are at the time. There aren't enough good spots for all of us.

and am I the only one who's finding it ironic that we're now discussing Fedex and Southwest as somehow the "Golden Egg" of jobs?

Really? I never even bothered to apply to either back in 1999 when I was getting on at American.... Who would have known?

I certainly didn't..

AND DONT LIE... you didn't' either!
Since I mentioned those in a post, I don't if this was directed to me or not. But true I did not apply at SAW or FedEx in the 1999, because I was 56 years old and could not afford the pay cut and then have to retire at age 60. Actually not being hired by UAL in 1996 was actually one of the better things that happened to me. My net working that lead me to JUS was actually one of the best things to happen in my career.

Latest resources

Back