• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007712160582

BEIJING -- A pilot shortage is throttling the dramatic and safe ascent of China's aviation industry, leaving hundreds of new Boeing and Airbus jetliners on order without pilots to fly them.

China will need an average of 2,500 pilots each year for the next two decades to fill cockpits
China isn't the only country with a pilot shortage. Airlines across east Asia and around the world are grounding flights and offering special pay packages to poach aviators from as far away as Brazil, Russia and Indonesia.

"It's something that is sneaking up on the industry overall because there have always been pilots in the wings
Air China has reserved land to build a training center in Beijing that is likely to be the biggest in the world, with 30 full flight simulators, according to news reports.
Beijing's airport is the world's ninth-busiest in terms of passenger traffic, climbing from No. 42 seven years ago.
Nearly 20 start-up airlines await approval to operate, and a green light may not come soon. One reason: They don't have pilots.

If you're at a major, and looking at a long upgrade, you may want to look to Asia.

cliff
YIP
PS-My buddy is loving Emirates so far.

stay away

asia = indentured servitude, divorce, and 20+days a month away from the kids.

grass isn't greener...............

been there done that, just ask the guys from JALways why all of them are going back to their furloughed airlines...........

Hi!

There are a lot of guys that are plenty happy in Asia. My brother told me if I could line up a job in Vietnam or Bangkok, I would love it.

I really wanted to move the family to Hong Kong, but then I found out how bad the air pollution is there-no go!!!

cliff
YIP

why the hell would I want to go there? unless its for the $$$, but everything I love to do outside aviation/work I can't do in ASIA especially Chinola. There are no local community rugby or softball teams to play on. No general aviation. No cycling clubs (road/track or mountain bike) and there is no Jersey shore to go hang out with the family on the back bay dock fishin' and grillin'. So unless you just want to fly and sit in an apartment in Hongdong or something I'd rather stay put here.

the only way i'd consider it would be to do it for a few years save $$$ then return to the states.

why the hell would I want to go there? unless its for the $$$, but everything I love to do outside aviation/work I can't do in ASIA especially Chinola. There are no local community rugby or softball teams to play on. No general aviation. No cycling clubs (road/track or mountain bike) and there is no Jersey shore to go hang out with the family on the back bay dock fishin' and grillin'. So unless you just want to fly and sit in an apartment in Hongdong or something I'd rather stay put here.

the only way i'd consider it would be to do it for a few years save $$$ then return to the states.

Haven't been out of the states much have you?? In any expat community in Asia you will likely find most if not all these things.......with exception of the Jersey shore. The beaches outside of Hong Kong would make you forget about that when you saw them.

Actually, he's not alone in that choice. If you go over to pprune.org, you'll see that a whole ton of Cathay pilots are freaking out about how bad the air quality in HKG has gotten in the past decade. Some of the complaints seem a little overblown, so I'll just have to see it to believe it. Atpcliff likely got a look first hand.

I actually don't really blame him. First thing that hit me as I stepped off the airplane in HK the first time... what a stench! Adapted in 48 hours, but yuck!!

If the money were good enough, it would be another story. Go over for 5 years or so, rack up some cash, come home with enough to enjoy life while back on 1st year pay somewhere...

The problem is, the money is NOT good enough. They're trying to lure current and qualified CRJ guys over there for just $80k a year and 8 days off a month. They can do that in the U.S. on 5th year RJ CA pay... with twice as many days off. Crazy.

When they get desperate enough and the money caps out over $150k a year with about 12 days off a month and business-class positive-space tickets each month, they might get enough people. Until then...

Latest resources

Back