• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remember after the 30-60 day honeymoon if being at a new place is over, you're only getting 8 days off per month for $htty pay. IMO, you don't go overseas unless you're going to get PAID TWICE what you can make at home. That extra pay is for not being able to have a life outside the airline, 'cause you will have none. Days off will be spent recovering from flying.

Also, be careful about including benefits as a part a total pay package. PAY should be twice the amount. The benefits are just extra and should be treated that way. Too many pilots go overseas and add the housing allowance into their pay package.

I seems from reading pprune and talking to current expats that the foreign operators (especially Asian) just don't get the QOL picture.

Right or wrong, most of us are used to working a U.S. type schedule and the 'sweatshop' lines of time aren't appealing.

As for the pollution in HKG, I believe it's a real problem. Last year, there was an article in the South China Times that stated the Guangzhou valley (NW of Shenzhen/HKG) will be uninhabitable if the current rate of emissions is not curbed.

Currently, China is bringing online one new coal-fired power plant a month. NONE of these plants have ANY anti-pollution scrubbers installed.

China is ADDING 4000 new vehicles PER MONTH to the roads.

China is an environmental disaster in the making and no one (especially the global warming nazis worldwide) is lifting a finger in protest.

So, yes, I do believe there is a air quality problem in HKG and it's only going to get worse. TC

Some of them are *starting* to understand, simply because they can't staff. They then go to the contract people who are recruiting for these positions (HACS, IAC, PARC) and ask why.

It's difficult for them to comprehend getting HALF the month off as compensation for not getting to see your family every morning before work and every night after work. Simply because the people doing the hiring have never lived that kind of schedule.

They'll eventually figure it out, or they will leave airplanes parked and have to defer deliveries. Either way, until they do, I'd stay away.

There's one or two contracts out there right now that are decent enough to make the jump should you have no better options here but, for the most part, the China gigs are ALL sub-standard right now.

Actually, he's not alone in that choice. If you go over to pprune.org, you'll see that a whole ton of Cathay pilots are freaking out about how bad the air quality in HKG has gotten in the past decade. Some of the complaints seem a little overblown, so I'll just have to see it to believe it. Atpcliff likely got a look first hand.

Didn't realize it was that bad out there. Just thought it was like the LA Basin or something. I stand corrected, Cliff!

Hi!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007712160582

If you're at a major, and looking at a long upgrade, you may want to look to Asia.

cliff
YIP
PS-My buddy is loving Emirates so far.

You are ALL missing the real point here: Soon, in our lifetime, there will be ASIAN pilots recruited to fly in the United States. Compared to what they will have at home, the QOL, pay, and bennies of a MESA style experience would be a huge step forward for them.

What automated, electronic cockpits can not do, (take over the US market), Asian ex-pats will do gladly.

i don't even know why we support these people. doing bizz with them is just as bad as giving $$$ to osama.

I saw a cnn/cspan program a year or so back where this chinloa engineer girl (educated in the US and my age) said she/they know very well about the polution (air/water/ground) that their rapid expansion/growth is causing. But "they don't care because they think that its more important to catch up with the US like yeasterday and worry about the downside later"

Chinola Engineer girl went on to site the US 1800's/1900's industrial explosion and what we did to our environment. the diff is back then nobody knew. today we know and there are laws inplace. plus we are cleaning up most places better than new and it will only get better in the US as green becomes ever more popular and there is $$$ to be had in it.

Remember China and asia are many many times the size of the US and their industrial/tech revolution is going to cause irreversable problems much much diff than what the US saw in the past 40 years as a result of our industrial explosion of 100 (+/-) years ago.

its gonna be scarry - FDX/UPS and other should be the new evil corps forging bizz with these people.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back