• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Shortage affecting the Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Engineers and conductors make as much or more than most major airline pilots and have rest rules as well.

Do you actually know any Conductors or Engineers?

I do, and the ones I know don't make anywhere near what I do (about $60K less), and their schedules make even the most abused reserve pilot look like a prima donna.

Ty

I do ty
Amtrak from my California days
Unions are stronger out there and based in oakland
Not what we make but into six figures for sure
Ship captains make much more than we do $300-$500k but months at sea with a big crew

Ship captains make much more than we do $300-$500k but months at sea with a big crew
I bet when you consider the hours they are on-duty compared to an airline pilot, their hourly rate might even be lower than that of a SWA Captain. 480 hours of straight duty for a 20 days crossing the Atlantic.

Do you actually know any Conductors or Engineers?

I do, and the ones I know don't make anywhere near what I do (about $60K less), and their schedules make even the most abused reserve pilot look like a prima donna.

Ty

My nephew is a five-year engineer w/CP and makes more than an RJ captain.

Couple of buds in the UAV world, from what they tell me it sounds like it's still the wild wild west, a long ways from prime-time. The actual controlling the A/C is going to be the easy part because as everybody knows most that system is in place.
CEO's wet dream because they envision a minion will push a button and the loaded A/C moves to designated city, HA HA HA!!

Last edited:
Right......! Airlines can't figure out where the passengers bags are half the time. Can't launch a website or create an app without having to come back to it a thousand times to fix glitches....! UAV's flying in places in the world where they don't even give out weather reports because it is hot and severely clear all the time, and the crashes are not even news worthy..! All of a sudden that translates into flying 744's into Narita gusting 35-50????

Get off net flicks....!

I'd like to see a sky full of computer directed airplanes being "managed" into the busy airspace of NYC or ORD, much less ground controlled. And who is responsible when they crash?

Who is going to make the the PA to the pax when there is a maintenance issue? "Hi this is Captain X sitting in the breakroom, the mechanics will fix the airplane soon and you will be on your way without me. Good Luck!"

C'mon now. The airplanes in this fantasy would never break

C'mon now. The airplanes in this fantasy would never break

Or would never enter a jet stream of 200kts over Japan on VNAV mode, or would never level off and only one thrust lever would come up, or would never start flashing the VNAV PATH on the FMA just to go back to VS and climb pass your level off altitude, or would never have a completely clean radar scope while having a 45,000 feet formation right smack on the center of the pacific route with nothing else around, etc, etc....!

A lot of speculation when something goes bad about the pilots, but nobody really dedicates time to quantify how much things we potentially stop from happening just for being there, according to some "doing nothing"

Latest resources

Back