Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Misinterpretation, Roy

Roy:

I am sorry for wording my post in a way which led you to misinterpret my actual intent. I should not have used the wording "equally large number" when referring to SWA pilots who are more concerned with their portfolio values than higher pay rates for all SWA pilots. I should have just used the wording "large number." I truly believe most SWA pilots do care about their union brothers and sisters, both current and future ones.

I was not trying to separate "no" voters and "yes" voters with my post. I was referring to the extreme fringes of the two prominent groups that both you and I know exist at SWA -- the "haves" and the "have nots."

As you know, it was quite possible to have industry average pay (IAP) as a goal and vote either yes or no based on how you feel it can most quickly and easily be obtained. Some thought it could best be obtained taking a two-step approach (accept this extension and then get the remainder in a 2005 section 6). Some thought that an extension would lead to another extension, and the only way to ever get close to IAP is a section 6 and the sooner the better (i.e., no extension and start negotiations in 2003).

What I do want folks to understand is that a "no" vote should not be connoted with a "radical" viewpoint. Just like most of the "yes" voters, most of the "no" voters were trying hard to get IAP from SWA. As you know, extending the current contract two more years does prevent the union from fixing all the OTHER stuff sooner, unless SWA management agrees to numerous sideletters. Taking care of future hires at SWA also means having a solid contract with clear language; one which ensures they don't get abused as junior pilots. IOW, it's not all about pay.

I will never label a "no" voter as a troublemaker, nor will I label a "yes" voter as a kool-aid drinker who would just as soon pull up the ladder on everyone junior to him. Of course, there are those kinds of people at SWA. What would be a "disservice" to folks who read this forum is to ALWAYS paint the positive picture and NEVER mention the negatives.

Good luck in your campaign for Dallas union domicile representative this fall. Based on your past letter(s) to the union newspaper, I would fully expect you to support a section 6 opener in 2005 vice okaying yet another extension to our now 12-year contract.

To all FlightInfo junkies and future SWA pilots: You will always read posts here that sometimes reflect reality and sometimes do not. You will read posts from people who know what they are talking about, and those who don't know their a** from a hole in the ground. You will be exposed to lots of "opinions." If the author states it as his/her opinion, then that's great. If not, don't hesitate to wave a bullsh*t flag, just like Roy did with me.

I will continue trying to paint accurate pictures of the reality of the airline industry, not just SWA. I will try very hard to separate what I know as absolute fact versus what is merely my opinion. Roy does a great job of this, too. If he is elected, hopefully he will have time to continue providing even more accurate insight "from the inside."

Last edited:
Atta boy's to you both

Chase, Rob:

Thanks for all the good poop. I know you've both heard it before, but we really do appreciate all the news you send our way here. Please keep it coming.

Regards,
Coop

To Rob,

As I stated in my original post Rob, my apologies if I took some of your comments the wrong way, pls accept it as I did "read" too much into them. Your clarification was on the money & right in line with the positions I held. A "no" voter to me is no different than a "yes" voter in the sense they may both have the same objective, just different ways in which they wish to achieve their goals.

I hope (as you do & all the readers on here) hope the settlement of the contract & progress (hopefully) on the mechanics, FAs & now the CSA/res folks go well. SWA needs to settle these labor groups & find a reasonable compromise with each in order for us to hire as many pilots, rampers, FAs as we can in the next few years. There is a tremendous opportunity to expand by taking advantage of the situation. Thanks again to you & CT for ya'll's effort in getting the "real" word out on what is happening at SWA.

As for my election prospects, we'll see. We have a lot of candidates with different ideas but that is good. We'll see how it all goes down. The one downside if I win is I will have to determine the feasibility of still advising folks on here. I will have to talk to folks about that & get their opinion. There are many folks like yourself that can (& have done well before me) continue to give the straight skinny on what is happening. We'll see after Oct 17. Cheers,

first year pay

So bottom line. What will a SWA new hire make their first year on the line based on these new numbers assuming he/she doesn't pick up open time?

Thanks
dab

New FO Scales for 1st year

Here are the annual totals before taxes and without per diem. Holding a regular line will generate about an additional $600 per month in per diem.

There will be two columns, the first is the minimum annual pay and the second will be the maximum pay. In order to get the maximum certain profit totals for the year. For example, for the maximum pay increase to be achieved for '02-'03 SWA must make $550M in profit to get the "maximum". The maximum profit margin is 15%. To receive anything above the minimum we must make over 9% profit margin. There is sliding scale for between 9-15%. Here are the annual payfor each year. I am basing the total on 90 trips per month (this equates tabout 82 hard hours per month). There is no extra flying included in the numbers below. Any flights picked up in extra fly or daily open time is paid at 1.5 times the normal trip pay.

As of Date: Min Max

9/1/2001 $36K $36K
9/1/2002 $38.2 (this was guaranteed since we had 15% profit for the preceding year)

9/1/2003 $39.7K $41.1K
9/1/2004 $45.1K $46.6K
9/1/2005 $46.7K $50K
9/1/2006 $49.6 $50K

In a nutshell the guarantteed pay raises total 11.5% for the next 4 years with an additional 14.4% (maximum 3.6% each of the 4 years beginning in 2002) for a total of 25.9%. For those other SWA intellectuals out there don't hesitate to correct me where I'm wrong. I'm reading directly from the green update that was passed out in the Aug 2002. I hope I'm reading this right.
The contract comes up for ammendment in 9/1/2006. There are many more aspects, too numerous to go over here.

Stock options are a major player & there will be some for new hires also. Their strike price will be their as of hired date. For everyone else the strike price was $12.83 I believe. The price on Friday's close was $14.68. The first group of options will be distributed beginning (distributed to pilots) in Sept '04 through 'Aug '06. These will go to all pilots.

Stock options to repair past inequities (Option repair grant, ORG) will be vested immediately. Their price is also $12.83. Pilots hired before Sept '83 receive no options. Only pilots hired after Sept '83 receive them. A complex formula is used to distribute this ORG. Pilots hired up through Aug 2004 will receive some of these options.

Hope all that helps.

Last edited:
Chase,

Thanks for all of your information, sure makes a difference. Could you also post the new payscale for 4,5 and 6th year Capt? Thanks!!!

S.B

4th, 5th, 6th yr Capt

As of Date: 4th Min Max 5th Min Max 6th Min Max
9/1/2001 113.71 114.97 116.41

9/2/2002 122.35 122.35 123.71 123.71 125.25 125.26
(The '02 raise is guaranteed at the max because we met profit projections for '01)

9/1/2003 127.24 131.65 127.24 133.11 128.66 134.78

9/1/2004 144.56 149.34 146.17 150.99 152.89 148.00

9/1/2005 149.62 159.94 151.29 161.71 163.74 153.18

9/1/2006 158.63 159.94 160.39 161.71 162.39 163.74

THIS IS NOT HOURLY PAY. To get an hourly conversion multiply the trip rate times 1.1369 (I believe that is the number but anyone out there can correct me if I'm wrong).

Chase

Thanks again for all the great info! Your time on this site is very much appreciated!

Thanks

OAK

:D

Let me make sure I understand this correctly, with the new raises a 2nd year FO at SWA will make $38K starting in Sept. Is that correct? Heck, a 2nd year CRJ pilot at CMR is making $35K now. Our C700 FOs will make $38K.

The SWA Capt pay sure looks a whole lot better than our Capt pay. How long does it take to upgrade?

Caveman,

The pay rates you were looking at are all for first year FO's. From what I remember 2nd year pay is in the low 60's.

Upgrade generally takes around 5 years.

T1bubba

Latest resources

Back