• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Pay Rates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but, in general, "being home more" and G5 don't usually go together.

If they are crewed with more than just 2 pilots I bet you are home more than a regional pilot or most smaller corp a/c....staffing is critical. A 2 pilot G5 can be a real disaster.

I am home FAR more flying a properly crewed GLEX/Falcon than I ever was flying a Learjet. Its rare that Lears/Citations etc are crewed with more than 2 pilots....and I dont care if its Peoria or Paris, away is away (to me) I'm guessing I have averaged 5-8 overnights/month over the last 10 years...and only about 45 in 2011. I dont know what an airline pilot comes in at.

Of course, its always good to know how much International a job does. 5-8 day+ trips become the norm once out of the country. Do this with 2 pilots and possibly more than one owner (I have seen it) -- these guys do 200+ overnights a year. Ouch.

Last edited:
Some busy months but, in general, I worked a lot fewer days in corporate.

On topic: Take the pay (assuming it's more than you make now...) and the type and experience. As a RJ FO or even CA, you're one of thousands. As a GV PIC (eventually) you are a relatively rare commodity.

TC

Hey everyone, I have an update. I had the interview. They have a be350, citation xl, and a g200. Chief pilot wants me to fly the king air and citation. Had a 2.5 hour interview about 50/50 aviation and just bsing about family and stuff. He took me to lunch and I tried to pay but he insisted on paying. We looked at all three airplanes and we didn't talk pay until right before I left. He asked me how much I made at the airline and I told him. They have interviewed 4 and I'm the only one that is local. He's ready to hire now and I should hear either way early to mid next week. Thanks again for all the info...

Sounds like a great gig, good luck with the selection. I was told in my interview 6 years ago that we can train you to fly any of our airplanes and we really don't care if you have experience in type. But we do care if you turn out to be a pain in the a** to fly with and have zero personality. Experience or recommendations may get you in the door, but the fact that the hiring board thinks you may be good to work with for the next 20 years really counts for a lot. Most corporate outfits are way too small to have one or two jackasses screwing up the work dynamic.

I think you are correct. I've been talking to a couple of the pilots that have medicaled out working for this outfit and it sounds more like they are concerned that every one gets along and to not hire jerkoffs. Well see, thanks again...

. We have hired regional pilots at the 110-125K range as SICs, but we only hired people who were PICs on their RJs.

Certainly no disrespect intended, but I can't for the life of me see how being a PIC on an RJ versus an *experienced* SIC makes one iota of difference in ability. The original poster has been at it long enough for most pilots to be a competent PIC, but seniority and industry movement hasn't provided him the opportunity to sit 24" to the left.

As someone who has flown in both airline and charter environments, I see very little difference between the two positions after a certain amount of time (unless the pilot is flat-out incompetent and has no leadership skills, which is usually readily apparent after an interview/tech eval).

Again, I certainly don't intend for this to be disrespectful, as I'm sure you weren't trying to be. Within the business jet industry, I just find it funny when some Beechjet captain looks down on me because I'm new to the company/not a PIC yet, despite the fact that I crossed the Atlantic 6 times in the last two months in a G-ride.

Once its your signature on the release, you'll understand. The weight of responsiblity is real, if you don't feel it you should reconsider your profession.

Once its your signature on the release, you'll understand. The weight of responsiblity is real, if you don't feel it you should reconsider your profession.

Been there and done that at another operation. Still can't understand the ego some gain over an additional stripe. If you're a conscientious FO/SIC, you should be feeling that weight also. Having worked on enforcement actions in a previous role, I can tell you that the enforcement decision process doesn't solely focus on the left seat.

Edited to add: I am agreeing with you about the weight... it's nothing to shake a stick at. That being said, I think that some PICs devalue their SICs, putting more weight on themselves than necessary. While this very well might be the only course of action when dealing with sub-1,500 hour pilots, I think it's not the best approach when dealing with guys who obviously know what they're doing.

Regardless, I see your point - I guess I'm just frustrated for those I've evaluated in the training environment that would make great CAs had they interviewed a week earlier.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said. I Don't think becoming a CA should be and ego boost. I think it should be considered an accomplishment, maybe a sense of pride stemming from the trust you have earned by whomever gave you the oppurtunity. But, the pride and accomplishment should be tempered with respect for the responsiblity that has been added.

I understand PIC's devalueing SIC all to well, CRM to some captains is a direct challenge to their authority. I hate it when I see that, its pointless, unsafe and causes dissention in the piot group.

And to your last point, timing and seniority, yeah, but what are ya gonna do. I think the countdown is 335 days until the age 65 rule guys finally hit the golf course.
Hang in there, the stagnation will end soon. I hope.

Latest resources

Back