• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Lifestyles

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are so many variables in this equation it's hard to come to a definitive answer. BTW, JetTexas is pretty much right on. Progression during your career almost guarantees a mobile lifestyle. Even during good times, a pilot makes frequent moves in order to take advantage of the opportunity for advancement.
During harder times, the instability is forced by such things as base closures, etc.
One way to help negate the effects of that instability on our families is to leave them in a stable situation; and become a gypsey ourselves as it relates to bases. The obvious drawback is that we lose time at home due to the commute.
Commuting works best when one can ride on his own carrier. It's hardest on us who must commute "offline". As in everything else in this job, seniority is golden. Seniority is the tool that allows for a non ulcer inducing commute. The senior guys are able to bid the commutable lines, and seniority is used to decide who gets the seat when there are more butts than seats.
I guess that the short answer to your question is that the industry is presently in such a state of change, there is no definitive answer. On one hand, there are more commuters due to circumstance, while on the other there are fewer commuters of convienience.
Personally, I have had less trouble getting to work post 9/11 than pre. NWA actually added to the number of JS'ers that they would put on a flight. Additionally, it seems that there are fewer company JS'ers on the AA and DL flights that I take.
regards
8N

Does anyone understand why most majors will only take one offline jumpseater even if there are many empty seats in the back? It makes no sense to me.

jetexas said:
Does anyone understand why most majors will only take one offline jumpseater even if there are many empty seats in the back? It makes no sense to me.

It's a labor vs management issue. It wasn't that long ago that DAL pilots didn't have the privilge at all. Management uses it as a negotiation tool, ie, if you want that you must give up something and gaining an extra seat for non-company pilots is not high on the list.

regards
8N

Hey Vik

Move to Murray Kentucky, trust me it is very much the opposite of you current location. Most Kentucky rumors are extremely overly exagerrated, or just plain untrue all together. People are kind and friendly. Crime is very low. Its clean here. There is a nice University here, so it is a prosperous little town with a comforting atmosphere (I guess I might be a little partial since I was born here, but hey I love it, and not many people can say that about their little home in rural america). Come hang out with the folks at KCEY!

J.

Re: Hey Vik

JBHewlett said:
Move to Murray Kentucky, trust me it is very much the opposite of you current location. Most Kentucky rumors are extremely overly exagerrated, or just plain untrue all together. People are kind and friendly. Crime is very low. Its clean here. There is a nice University here, so it is a prosperous little town with a comforting atmosphere (I guess I might be a little partial since I was born here, but hey I love it, and not many people can say that about their little home in rural america). Come hang out with the folks at KCEY!

J.

Sooooooooooooo your saying no banjos???

Personally, I'd get away from the big city of Murray and either go to Fancy Farm, Pottsville, Beulah, Tobacco, or Future City. Did Monkey's Eyebrow and Possum Trot fall off the map?
Murray State University "Racers"...."Harvard without shoes":D

Since I'm not in the biz, can't offer advice regarding commuting. However, having lived in several states and towns (small and big), I'd say the quality of life is better in a small town and usually your costs of living is less. But to each their own. Ideally, live in a small town but be close enough to a big city for the purposes of employment and entertainment.
And if anyone can clue me in on the virtues of Orlando I'm all ears! "Welcome to Orlando, please wait" should be the motto here. No offense to any Orlando lovers.

Last edited:
Outta SoCal

Vik,
My better half just surpassed the 30 yr mark with PacBell, depending on what happens in the next year with my employer we're outta here too. You know you've been here too long when... A; the cop-copters don't bother you at o-dark-ugly & B; the pop-pop-pop of 9mm from across the river doesn't catch your ear either.

Latest resources

Back