Pilot Hats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

328jetdriver

Who likes to wear them? I think it looks ridiculous on me. Friends and family say the same. To big for my head. Unfortunately we have to wear them. This thread is all in good fun, not venting.

If your hat is the wrong size, of course it will look stupid. I'm from the old school. I still remember when people got dressed up in their Sunday finest to fly on an airplane. I also remember when the overhard rack didn't have doors and they were designed for coats and hats. I guess you can figure out I'm an OLD fart. You're correct. I've been an airline pilot for 36 years and when I got hired, it was an honor to wear the hat I had so long yearned to wear. Now you young guys probably look at your uniform with disdain. True, we don't garner the respect from the traveling public we once did, but I can assure you, no matter what the public thinks, I'm still proud to put on my hat every trip. I feel just a little more professional, whether the customer thinks so or not.
Go ahead youngn's, flame away
Captain C. Weisser
A330-International Check Airman

bud5437 said:
I guess you can figure out I'm an OLD fart. You're correct. I've been an airline pilot for 36 years and when I got hired, it was an honor to wear the hat I had so long yearned to wear. Now you young guys probably look at your uniform with disdain. ...

Bud, the times, they are a-changin'. Don't you get it?...they don't want to mess up their moussed, structured hair.

I have only been in the airline business for 3 and 1/2 years and enjoy wearing the hat.

Mayday.

Yes, the times have changed alright. I have no idea what purpose the hats serve. They look dorky, the bills are too short to block the sun, and they don't have ear-flaps to keep your ears warm in the winter. On the other hand, if it's raining I guess they do keep the water off the melon, and they make a good place to hold wallets/phones/change/keys as you proceed through security checkpoints.

I rarely wear mine; usually I just carry it around. I'll wear it if my hands are full, or if I see a chief pilot/uniform police guy nearby. Sadly, I lost my hat at LAX last month, and even though my name/base was printed inside, it still hasn't found its way back to me. I guess I'll have to buy a new one to carry around. That way I can look like an airline pilot. :D

Worn properly, the hat does block the sun. The lower rim of the hat should be parallel to the ground when you stand with good posture and the bill should rest "two fingers" off your nose. Meaning, you should be able to rest your right pointer on your nose, and your middle finger, should just touch the bill.

Wearing the hat back off of the forehead, showing your pretty bangs is incorrect.

S.

P.S. Polish your shoes. They look like crap too.

Last edited:
The company I was hired by, but didn't start at yet because of postponed ground school doesn't even issue them. I have tried them on and I look stupid in them, but I wish I could say to the rest of you that I work for someone that makes you wear them.. It is the 21st century and those hats have been around since beginning basically. They really don't make anyone look any less or more professional. They do mess up young guys' crispy hair like mine, but they do cover bald spots too. I would wear one with pride. I will also say that when I was younger and would go to the airport if my dad was on a business trip I would spot those hats first and know that it was an airline pilot. I personally like the pilot uniform(everything) and can't wait to wear one one day.

Hats

Personally, I like the hat. It does feel dorky sometimes but it is part of the uniform. It looks good when well-maintained, not when guys let it get ratty and dirty. Some guys don't wear it when it is required and it makes the whole pilot group look dishevled. I saw one AA F/O walking whith her captain and she had no hat, no jacket. Her captain was in full uniform with Jacket and Hat. Looks unprofessional for a crew to be dressed very differently in the view of the public.

Bottom line if your company requires it, wear it. If not, (i.e. jetBlue) don't. Easy as that.

--03M

I wish they would make the back of the cap more durable - I mean mine is almost worn out from carrying the darn thing :)

Still have to wear it around the domiciles as you never know if the hat police are in town.

Latest resources

Back