Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot forced to retire--Boo hoo! Freaking baby!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody who would put all their retirement eggs in one basket (A and B Fund) at ANY time before or after 9/11 is retarded.......

I KNOW life isn't fair and I seek NO second chance at the money till..

AMEN.

Not quite sure how you can defend this. Guys that have been working for 20-30 years at an airline with the promise of a pension and a cozy retirement are suddenly screwed out of that, and they desire to try and work a little more INSTEAD of retire, and you call it greed?

It is absolutely criminal what happened to the pensions. Nobody is saying any different. However, their retirements were stolen from them by MANAGEMENT. Are you suggesting is it somehow justified for them to replace it by stealing from ME?

(p.s. Sig....If my guess is correct, you've proabably heard about the importance of "Living prudently within your means")

Last edited:
i believe that the origins of the age 60 rule came to be from the predecesors of the faa, i forget what they were. cr smith when he ran american

You can Google "history of the age-60 rule" and get all kinds of references...

...but you're pretty close...

CR Smith, near the end of his tenure, didn't want to stick the old-timers that started out in DC-3's and such, strapping on 707's that AA was going to start operating in the 60's.

Got the CAB to go along with him.

But take a good read, it's pretty interesting stuff.

Age 60 should be repealed because it is bad law. NO ONE should be forced to give up his chosedn profession because of an arbitrary date on a calendar.

Krautfed,

So would it be fair for me as an airline pilot to view all professional sports players as overpaid prima donnas? Quite a broad brush you got there.

Shrek,

Excellent post, exactly what I was thinking.

Esprit

Krautfed,

So would it be fair for me as an airline pilot to view all professional sports players as overpaid prima donnas? Quite a broad brush you got there.

Yep, perfectly fair. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and there is always greener grass, more to the story, etc, etc. This type of stereotyping happens a lot in professions where the low man makes <$20K /yr and the high man makes >$200K /yr... just like pilots and athletes. You should hear my opinions on Engineering, which is where I'm at now career wise!

-Joe

Management had help

It is absolutely criminal what happened to the pensions. Nobody is saying any different. However, their retirements were stolen from them by MANAGEMENT. Are you suggesting is it somehow justified for them to replace it by stealing from ME?

Your point is valid, provided that you had nothing to do with dumping the pensions. At some carriers, however, the union VOTED to allow a pension-dump (retirees could not vote). In these cases, the reaction of the older pilots, and any resulting career stagnation, was completely predictable. :mad:

This argument will go on forever. From the old guy trying to eek out a few more years to the new guys facing five years of stagnation. The fact is that the rule is changing. I am not for the rule. It will make me wait five more years. Can I change it? No I can not. Everybody needs to just deal with it. This career is not what it used to be. All these old guys got to reap the benefits of huge paychecks that most of us young guys will never see. I do agree that 5 extra years will not fix 40 years of over indulging, divorces, and living above their means. Us young guys just have to deal with it. It has been said before on this thread, if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you. We all need to stop bitching and just work together.

Well said 27...it's just the way it is. Some folks hold on pretty tight to things out of their control. And in the end, that death-grip finally loosens up.

From the FAA website:

Age 60 Rule Frequently Asked Questions

February 2,2007

When will the FAA issue a final rule and how long will the transition period take? Why can't the FAA change the rule now?
The Administrative Procedures Act requires a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to be issued before any final action is taken. The FAA plans to have an NPRM out by the end of calendar year 2007. The public, industry, and individual pilots will then have the opportunity to comment. This is an 18-month, 2-year, or possibly longer process, depending on the amount and complexity of the comments. A final rule will then be published that will dictate a transition period that will be determined through this rulemaking process.

For Christ's sake, not even two weeks into a process that could take a couple of years and y'all are shrugging your shoulders and throwing in the towel? Do you quit flying when an engine catches on fire?

Write some letters to the people involved. Get involved in the above mentioned review process. Go to a roadshow and let Prater know you expect him to read the results of the expensive polling they did and represent his membership.

Wake up people. This is going to personally cost you thousands and thousands of dollars and force you to Work during your golden years instead of enjoying yourself. Five extra YEARS is a LONG time. Statistically, that means going to work for 1/4 of your remaining LIFE.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back