Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot forced to retire--Boo hoo! Freaking baby!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just because I didn't pull gear for some fat ass blow-hard in a DC-8 20 years ago doesn't mean I don't know ******************** about aviation...believe it or not I don't think shooting an approach in the weather somewhere is all that friggin hard.

It shows your ignorance on the topic of the airlines. 4400 Hrs? Give me a break Lindbergh. You do realize that it takes 10-20 years of experience to build sound decision making skills? It sounds like your skills are aptly oriented for military flying which couldn't be more different from Airline Flying. Not to imply that Airline Flying is the most challenging thing, however, when you've spent 10-15 yrs as an FO...you might start to understand a thing or two about it. Until then, pipe down.

You do realize that it takes 10-20 years of experience to build sound decision making skills?

I'll bet you settled on this in your 21st year. How many upgrades did you bypass before then?

10-20 years? Come on, man, how many pilots would this philosophy remove from the decision making process?

Last edited:
B737Dvr: Sure, lot's of bad things happening and I agree with you. Question: How do we fix all this? Why not get all FAR 121 pilots opted out of Social Security and into another similiar government backed program where every pilot with at least 10 years longevity gets a pension benefit? Include a years of service vs. age metric that produces a retirement at around 20-25 years with 50% FAE. EVERY pilot would get this as a baseline, and for those working at more profitable airlines would also have a B fund or stock retirement benefits. This would be available if we simply patterned what railroad employees have. Airlines have exceeded the importance of railroads in this country and meet all the standards for which rail got this benefit in the first place. While we're doing this it would be easy to roll back the clock and capture a benefit for all the pilots who have retired in the last 10 years, or maybe longer. BUT, you can't get anybody interested in that because we have to deal with age 60 retirement. That carrot dangled in front of the soon to be retired is too much for them to see past. Their greedy need for immediate satisfaction is beyond sufficient enough for them to ignore this sort of effort.

737 - What makes you think I haven't done 90% of the laundry list you supplied. I am not a silver-spooned kid that is wet behind the ears and I didn't know that super-big words from graduate school is required on FI. Take a pill before you have chest pains bubba.

God forbid there be a pilot out there that actually wants to have a different opinion about the age 60 retirement question.

I highly doubt you would have such strong opinions if we ever met in real life.

There are PLENTY of pilots young AND "experienced" that have my point of view on such a divisive question. YUP about 70%.

irony

Flopgut is, i believe, on the verge of the tip of the iceberg that will soon hit the industry. I believe in several things:
1. there has got to be a better way. we can arrive at this if key principles from regulatory, management, labor and government would get together, brainstorm and stay locked up in a room until a solution is found. but unfortunately this wont happen because pilots at large are so divided that no cohesive front can be found, and also there is no big special interest group that cares, and you wont get any senator off of any committee until they theirselves are trapped in an airplane for 11 hours or miss a flight because of a work job action or slowdown.....when these guys are affected directly is usually when you get direct pro-activity out of them.
2. eventually the tide turns, and this industry gets re-regulated in some form or shape, either in its entirety or partly. funny thing, i bet the authors of this de-regulation never would have thought that it would have produced a landscape of lesser airlines that are run by people so cut-throat that it would make stalin and hitler proud! in the meanwhile, we have majors stepping over the RJ ranks flowing "down" while they complain about the RJ ruining the industry. We get the 2000's version of lorenzo purposefully running a money losing operation to bleed hawaiian and aloha to death, so that they minute either capitulates, he can raise prices and rein victorious while bastards like us bitch and moan and fight amongst ourselves. i guess no one said that capitalism had to have ethics....oh well....i just hope to be able to survive and have fun while im at it.

well well

737 - What makes you think I haven't done 90% of the laundry list you supplied. I am not a silver-spooned kid that is wet behind the ears and I didn't know that super-big words from graduate school is required on FI. Take a pill before you have chest pains bubba.

God forbid there be a pilot out there that actually wants to have a different opinion about the age 60 retirement question.

I highly doubt you would have such strong opinions if we ever met in real life.

There are PLENTY of pilots young AND "experienced" that have my point of view on such a divisive question. YUP about 70%.

Shrekie,...opinions are fine, you just kept on and added insult to injury with your judgements, which i guess you are free to contribute, but i doubt highly that you would be as judgmental when you yourself are much older.

I dont understand what you mean by my not having such strong opinions if we ever met in real life....huh? what exactly do you mean by that?

I'll bet you settled on this in your 21st year. How many upgrades did you bypass before then?

10-20 years? Come on, man, how many pilots would this philosophy remove from the decision making process?

It opened my eyes too. Just learned it last month in a Human Factors refresher course. It doesn't remove any pilot from the decision making process, but rather, it highlights the point that a) Some people learn quicker than others, and b) This isn't a career for seat warmers

It opened my eyes too. Just learned it last month in a Human Factors refresher course. It doesn't remove any pilot from the decision making process, but rather, it highlights the point that a) Some people learn quicker than others, and b) This isn't a career for seat warmers

Reg, or Leonard Smalls, my eyes are not opened to anything other than the fact that you fell for some HR crap. To be effective with aeronautical decision making takes 20 years?

Do your friends call you Lenny? Oh, that's right, you ain't got no friends.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back