Pilot Factories

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Depends on how much money you have.

If you are broke go to AllATPS, get it done fast and on the cheap. Seniority IS everything and remember, 172Driver's complaint was that the AllATPs instructors were getting hired so fast he could not....

All ATP's doesn't talk about it much, but you could just get your Multi, Instrument, Commercial in the Seminole. We are talking in and out in less than a week at minimal expense if you already had your instrument rating.

If you are loaded, then Embry Riddle seems to be the ticket. Riddle's best deal is to take advantage of the internships and other networking opportunities that provide an easy in with good airlines like Continental, etc....

AllATPs gets the job done quick and cheap (but doesn't leave you much to put on a resume other than your Certificates and flight time), Riddle can help you get in the door to the next level after you have a couple years in RJ's.

There are good pilots that come out of every school, but flying the line the best I've seen are usually the night freight pilots.

OK. To expand on my last post, my experience was bad from start to finish, not all due to the MEI's working there. In fact, I place very little blame on them, for they can only do what they were trained to do.

1. ATP's sent me a letter explaining what to bring and what they would provide. They didn't do it. They tried to send me on an FAA checkride for an ATP rating with a total of two approach plates that they had printed off a computer, that had expired six years ago. No sectional, no enroute, no airport diagram, nothing current at all. When I balked, their explanation was that that is their standard procedure. They didn't have a current approach plate anywhere at the school. I ended up having to call company HQ in JAX. Talked to the big boss there and he couldn't really understand my concern. His solution was to have them print me off current plates for the airport I was going to. I bought my own.

2. Airplane was misscheduled. Ended up receiving less than half the training I paid for. What I did receive was at night.

3. No process for deicing the airplane. Was an hour late for my FAA ride because we had to wait for the sun to melt the frost on the airplane.

4. When I informed them of the problems, I received zero money back.

So, you see, I am not condemning them for one small thing. It seems the rot reaches to the top. Yes, a lot of people go there and succeed, as did I, but that does not mean the training or the company is good.

No charts to be found on the airplane or with him. Might be a cheaper school than some others but you get what you pay for sometimes.

So YOU did not have any charts? You were going for your ATP and you did not carry charts? I think I see the problem.

I did my ATP with them. I had a great experience. The problem I have heard from their instructors is that guys show up with 1300 hours in a 172 in the traffic pattern and have not done an instrument approach or any multi in forever. If you show up there expecting them to spoon feed you then you are going to struggle. If you buckle down and prepare (they provide you with all the info you need for each rating) on your own time then they are a good place. Plus you get all the multi.

I had a terrible experience with All ATP's when I did their ATP course. Wouldn't recommend it. Also, they pay their CFI's $9600/yr for working six days a week, 12 hr days.

Someone didn't pass their ATP after 3 days of training ehh?

172Driver - Those are legitimate complaints. But, they are also perfect for refining your expectations of the regional airline pilot job where you will get to experience:
* Dead heading for four days and returning home having not even unpacked your flight bag.
* Going out for a "round trip" and still being on the road 6 days later. Chief Pilots will tell you to wash their underwear in the sink. All of us have in fact, washed some article of clothing in the sink and rigged the heater to blow moldy air on our clothes to dry them.
* You will get shorted on your pay
* Your bags will get lost
* Some days you can't get fuel. Other days the lav gets serviced three times on a 40 minute turn. There is no way to predict which days this will happen on, but during any day in which Basketball playoffs are ongoing your airplane will not get parked until there is a commercial break.
* Your parking delay is directly proporational to how bad you have to urinate.
* Your phone will ring on Major Holidays. You will hear "First Off.." or "Captain" and have the inclination to curl up in the fetal position and cry.
* Less than $20,000 a year when you were away from base nearly 4,000 hours.
* the opportunity to sleep on the airplane (cargo nets can be made into hammocks)
* and of course some of the best flying, equipment and crews around anywhere.

So you are right, all ATP's is the "regional airline" of the flight training world. Like most things a "good deal" involves cutting corners somewhere.

Last edited:
Since this is now an ATP thread, I'll chime in with an observation I had this week.

Was coming back from a 5 hour day of surveying and lo and behold, an ATP Seminole closed the main runway at FWS. Lucky for me, FWS has a 4000' grass strip in great condition. Tower seemed surprised an Aztec wanted to land on the grass, but its like an old friend.

Anyway, the Seminole departed the runway in the first 1000' with a locked right brake, and got stuck in soft turf. They left about 200' of skidmarks before coming to rest prior to the TDZ. After being pushed out by a lektro tug, they went around the pattern a couple times before going on to who knows where. I don't know what they were doing, my guess is a simulated engine fail on takeoff roll, but I wonder about the decision to fly and even continue training immediately thereafter.

Go to the most expensive fancy school you can find. When you get out and your take home pay is $1200 a month and your school payments are $800 a month, declare bankruptcy. I always get a kick out of dumb*sses who have $80 grand of debt and a job at a regional.

Was coming back from a 5 hour day of surveying and lo and behold, an ATP Seminole closed the main runway at FWS.

Ahh... FWS. I met Pappy. That was back when Duane Cole would show up and be his old self.... that was a while ago. I grew up at the top of the hill to the west, when there was just one street up there.

172drive -- do you have your receipts? ATP IS SUPPOSED TO REIMBERES YOU FOR ALL THE CHARTS AND ETC YOU BUY FOR TRAINING!!!

Squirrel -- I was told by ATP to bring a passport, certs, medical, and headset. All other items, including charts, kneeboard, etc. would be provided as part of the training cost. I was certainly multi-engine IFR current and proficient, having flown 800-900 hrs the previous year. They didn't spoon feed me anything. I had the procedures and limitations nailed when I got there. Just needed some practice time to get used to a light twin again. As I said, I didn't get the time I was promised (5.0, I believe). The time I did get was at night (1.0) and a x-c to see the examiner (1.5). Not real productive as far as training goes.

Smacktard -- you are wrong sir. Got the ATP on the first try due to my ability to overcome the adverse circumstances I was subjected to by ATP. I performed well on the ride but went in less confident and had to work a lot harder than I should have, had I been provided the training I paid for.

Fins -- Tell me about it. I was getting my ATP not to join the regional airline world, but to escape it (Comair). I am much happier and treated like an actual human being now (NJA).

Latest resources

Back