Pilot busted for dropping bag of flour out of airplane near Phoenix

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mattpilot said:
The hardest part is coming up with 500 X-C and 75 actual.

instructers here at sparten who've been here 3 years still don't have the requirements, despite having 3000 hours.

Who said anything about actual?

Actual or simulated instrument. Surely with an instrument rating you've got almost all of that covered?

I'd agree that the 500 xc for CFIs is tough. Probably going to be the biggest hurdle to get over, but...

Anything worth doing...

-mini

minitour said:
Who said anything about actual?

Actual or simulated instrument. Surely with an instrument rating you've got almost all of that covered?

I'd agree that the 500 xc for CFIs is tough. Probably going to be the biggest hurdle to get over, but...

Anything worth doing...

-mini

oops sorry.. actual was my mistake...

anyhow... you gonna force your students to go on X-C with you every other flight :D hehe

mattpilot said:
oops sorry.. actual was my mistake...

anyhow... you gonna force your students to go on X-C with you every other flight :D hehe

LOL no no...I wouldn't do that...not on a 50nm XC anyway...maybe to another airport for a TnG (counts as a XC flight for 135 mins that way), but it'd be a waste of their money to go 50nm each flight.

But I've already got 60XC...how tough can another 440 in the next 24 months be? I'll just take the wife down to Florida and back a few times (like that would go over real well :rolleyes:)

-mini

Flight teacher didn't violate Patriot Act

Thomas Ropp
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 5, 2005 12:00 AM

NORTHEAST VALLEY - Arizona's director of Homeland Security said his office is no longer investigating a Phoenix flight instructor who dropped bags of flour over the Tonto National Forest Sunday.

Frank Navarette said pilot Joshua Parriott, 29, and passenger James Klein, 42, of Chandler were guilty of poor judgment but did not violate the Patriot Act, a 2001 law that gives federal law enforcement broad powers to investigate crime and terrorism.

However, the men are not off the hook. On Thursday, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office brought three misdemeanor charges against them, and the Federal Aviation Administration could suspend or revoke Parriott's pilot's license and various certifications.

Parriott has already lost his job as a flight instructor at Westwind School of Aeronautics at Deer Valley Airport, according to the Sheriff's Office.

Parriott's record had previously been clean. Neither he nor Klein could be reached for comment.

Parriott and Klein dropped the bags of flour near the Verde River over Needle Rock Recreation Area as a prank while friends engaged in a game of paintball.

Nearby residents of Rio Verde notified the Sheriff's Office believing they had witnessed a terrorist dropping anthrax into a Valley water source. The incident occurred during the Iraqi elections, when the whole world was particularly alert to potential terrorist activity.

Jeff Myers, a spokesman for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association said he was "appalled."

Suits are sometime out of this world.

While scooping water out of Rock Canyon in Lalaland,
we received a $1.35 water bill from the city....(we where operating for free)

Then the councilmen objected to us scooping at all(let Hollywood burn)
on the ground we would pollute drinking water if we crashed!

Our man, the Candyman answered that we could not pollute
more than the gazillion seagulls on the lake who came there
to clear their bilge after filling on the nearby garbage dumps...

Jeff Myers, a spokesman for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association said he was "appalled."

Nice twist on that statement by the journalist. Appalled at what?

Latest resources

Back