• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

redd

Oops!

Airdrop scare leads to recreation area evacuation
By Nick Martin, Tribune

Phoenix, AZ
Sheriff’s officials scrambled to evacuate part of the Tonto National Forest and put the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on alert Sunday after an airplane dropped bags of white powder near the Verde River.
"In the case that this was a chemical or biological attack, everyone out there would have been exposed," Maricopa County sheriff’s Sgt. Travis Anglin said.

The river also supplies water to the Valley.

But it wasn’t an attack. A man with access to an airplane had dropped flour bombs on his friends as a prank while they played paintball at Needle Rock recreation area east of Cave Creek, Anglin said.

Forest rangers saw the drop about noon. Sheriff’s officials evacuated the area and started checking the powder. About three hours later, the paintball players explained about their friend, who had flown out of Deer Valley Airport, Anglin said.

The man, whose identity was not released, could face charges, such as flying too low and dropping objects out of a plane, Anglin said.

The three-hour scare did test authorities. "It was kind of a dress rehearsal for terrorist activities," Anglin said.

One issue was an apparent miscommunication between the sheriff’s office and Salt River Project, which manages the Valley’s incoming water supply. SRP spokesman Scott Harelson said the company was not notified by sheriff’s, forest or federal officials until about two hours into the scare and only found out about the incident when the Tribune called for comment.

But Anglin said the sheriff’s office notified SRP while the scare was happening. He did not know, however, who contacted whom and said SRP may have called the sheriff’s office.

Yeah, terrorists are going to launch a chemical attack on Tonto National Forest!

Alarmist schmucks...

EagleRJ said:
Alarmist schmucks...

I heard a quote from a Maricopa County Sheriff's Deputy on a local radio station on Sunday.

I'll have to paraphrase but he said that "you can't just go around dropping stuff in the desert." and "they'll be "arrested" for littering/dumping and we're also exploring to see what federal laws that they might have violated."

:rolleyes:

Cripes!...can't just drop stuff in the freeking desert? What are they gonna hit, a gila monster? Perhaps a protected breed of cactus? Why in the hell would terrorists drop a sealed bag of antrax out of an airplane window over a desolate area when there are 3.5 million people within a 20 minute flight?

The sheriff's office should be a little more concerned about the DEAD BODIES and burned-out stolen cars being dumped in the dessert as opposed to trying to conduct a witch hunt over something that doesn't amount to anything more than simple littering...if that.

I hate to criticize law enforcement, but what a bunch of maroons.

I am pretty green when it comes to environmental matters, but is it even littering if its flour? As in, ground up wheat...organic matter. How about scraping up some rabbit sh!t from the desert floor and 'dropping' those droppings. Gonna call that littering?

You are right--It IS legal to drop objects if care is taken not to induce damge on persons or objects on the ground. I guess they may get him for littering--atleast he didn't molest the wildlife!

Dr Pokenhiemer said:
...atleast he didn't molest the wildlife!

I decided to quote a movie and abbreviated curse words, so now I'm banned for a day.

-mini

Last edited by a moderator:
minitour said:
I decided to quote a movie and abbreviated curse words, so now I'm banned for a day.

-mini

HA HA HA....I've finally figured out why some screen names are Red vs Blue. See you tomorrow Mini.

Now, as far as these banishments go, are they like MEL Items? Will Mini be back in 24 hours from time of banishment, or will he have to wait until midnight tomorrow? :)

Latest resources

Back