• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, JK and JP are turds....that is true and they don't make the training fun. BUT, even though I think they are turds, I have always gotten a whole LOT out of my PDT training and I have found that MOST of the instructors (especially JB who retired, and many of the SOE instructors) to be good instructors and forgiving, and generally very helpful.

I feel very thorough and safe when I fly and most of it is from what I have gotten from PDT's training and ESPECIALLY from flying with so many old salts.

No, you won't upgrade in forever, but you will get a huge amount of experience just simply from flying with the guys who know the plane in and out and who can show you a few things (they aren't all as cool as some, but most are good dudes). You will become a far better pilot if you go to a place like PDT vice a Mesa....etc.

My two cents.

PS...I love knowing all of that "incredible minutia" about the aircraft I am flying everyday and I don't think it is a bad thing to hand fly the DHC-8. God forbid if you get an aircraft with an MEL's autopilot....

Last edited:
I'd go to Piedmont for two years to start over at the bottom of another airline. Looks like a good career move.

trainer8

I went to Piedmont 5 years ago. SOE, not IOE was very good. I think you are full of it. I am now at Comair, and IOE was very good, but Piedmont's AQP was just fine for a UND grads. Most of Piedmont's junior people are UND grads. THEY ALL PASSED. So either way you loose.

N813CA said:
trainer8

I went to Piedmont 5 years ago. SOE, not IOE was very good. I think you are full of it. I am now at Comair, and IOE was very good, but Piedmont's AQP was just fine for a UND grads. Most of Piedmont's junior people are UND grads. THEY ALL PASSED. So either way you loose.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine. No sweat if I loose this argument with you. The word is out on the street on more than this forum about PDT's training. And, the concensus from your old buddies at PDT is that the corporate culture at PDT is very poor and is reflected especially in their DOT and training enviroment. I agreee, so, I'm in good company.

I'm glad the UND GRADS can take the heat. All I'm saying is that it is not necessary to treat people that way and that the DHC-8 is not the Space Shuttle.

Cheers:)

T8

You are kinda blowing this way out! If you come to training and CQ prepared (and no, you don't have to rebuild the Dash 8) there is no stress at all. On the other hand if you come in weak, yes they will drill you a bit on the parts you are weak on. Hell, whats wrong with that!!!!! I have been to training and got spanked because I wasn't prepared. And so what, its a wake up call!! COME TO TRAINING PREPARED AND BE SERIOUS ABOUT IT. That's it, they tell you what you need to know! Limitation and procedures.. you don't have to be Chuck Yeager in the sim at all. Now I have heard of a Couple of instructors that are on the odd side and don't take the time to help and teach. However I think ever company has a couple of those kinda of dudes! Usually they are a bit pissed because their careers have made turns and changes that they didn't care for. Then again, we have some instructors that go way beyond the call of duty to help train you and they really enjoy helping people.
Just remember that a Safe Pilot is one that is well trained in the Aircraft that he flies. I really don't think that PDT training is preparing you to fly the Shuttle.... I did get a laugh out of that!!

the sad problem at PDT is their pathetic devotion to being like mama mainline....in the training dept, and corp. offices
right down to that piece of schiesse checklist (can you say airbus checklist with a couple dash items thrown in?)
their answer to everything is
"because mainline does it"

oh, and does anyone really think that bigass hideous ring you know who's wearin looks good? a hard core goomba/made man wouldn't wear that thing

of course the fact that they were very obviously gunning for a number of specific alg guys in transition training doesn't make them look very professional either

but on to the original topic matter...
my limited experience so far is that there really isn't much in the way of 'reserves' certainly not enough to backup the scheduled lines, but their hiring like mad so it prolly won't be long before your in a line, depending on your base, as for upgrades? your guess is as good as mine, they trickle out occasionally at the moment but its around 4+ years

I don't think Piedmont is the greatest place to work, crap what regional is? Everyone thought AWAC was, now look at them... Everyone thought ACA and now look at them maybe going out of business. Bottom line is most regionals have there good and bads! We have a working contract that I would put against most. We do fly old tired equipment, however it could be worse then the 8.

So my Advice to you DASH8... If Piedmont Sucks------->Simply leave!!! Its that easy! Nobody is making you stay at our Sucky airline. I have been here 5 years, and if I thought it sucked I would leave. I wouldn't want to torture myself having to come to work.

WSURF hit the nail on the head! If you don't like, F'N LEAVE!

PDT has its ups and downs, people piss and moan but it could be worse, you could be flying for ASA /giggle. Training is EASY, simply study, you know instead of going to Murphy's every nite maybe spend 30 minutes studying before you drink all your brain cells away.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back