• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont towed from 36L in CLT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was at the gate that they brought the paxs back to and someone said something about a hydraulic failure. Although I'm not quite sure what exactly happened or why it required a bus ride & tow in.

Loss of #1 contents maybe?

Last edited:
I was at the gate that they brought the paxs back to and someone said something about a hydraulic failure. Although I'm not quite sure what exactly happened or why it required a bus ride & tow in.

Loss of #1 contents maybe?

But you still have the emergeny brake and steering. I wouldn't neccesarily want to pull up to the gate using the emergency brake but there is no problem getting the aircraft off the runway under its own power.

But you still have the emergeny brake and steering. I wouldn't neccesarily want to pull up to the gate using the emergency brake but there is no problem getting the aircraft off the runway under its own power.

I know absolutely nothing about a Dash 8, but why take the risk? I'll gladly close a runway and be towed rather than risk running off into the grass or terminal.

No joke...

No #1 content, airplane no move.....

I know absolutely nothing about a Dash 8, but why take the risk? I'll gladly close a runway and be towed rather than risk running off into the grass or terminal.

What exactly makes it risky? Certainly no riskier than taxing around on the #2 engine with only the standby pump to give you normal brakes. You are just a pump failure or circuit breaker pop away from hitting the tug at the gate if you don't get the hand brake in time. Guys are taxing on one engine all the time to save gas. The system was designed so that a loss of either hydrualic system does not cripple the aircraft.

I have no details of the incedent and am not trying to second guess anyones decision, just letting the previous poster know that a single system hydraulic failure does not rendure a dash immobile.

While I agree it may not be risky some people might not feel comfortable about it. Hard to second guess someone that is worried about the safety of the plane and pax.

I lost most of the #2 contents before and returned to CLT. Landed on the runway and ran all the checklist I needed. Looked at my FO and asked him if he was comfortable with me taxing back to a gate.

We did with no problems. Should I have been towed to the gate? Maybe, but I felt comfortable taxing and knew the limitions of the plane with the loss of the #2 Hyd System.

Latest resources

Back