Piedmont Schedules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's getting severe.

I've been given another 14:17 scheduled duty day over the weekend. The best part? It was on a junior man. A double junior man. A 31 hour 6 day that credited north of 40 hours, and including the premium pay just shy of 50 hours.

And they wonder why we're calling out sick? Ya know, the ones who CAN fly, who don't get a bonus for doing this crap, the ones who -gasp- are capable of doing the job?

I tell ya, OPEC- what I'm hearing from captains about the newhires makes me ashamed to work here. If they're worth 5 grand, you and I are worth three billion.

How long do you have, while on call, to get to the airplane? If you have to be on call starting at 0500 and have a one hour call, does that mean you would never have to be at the airplane earlier than 0600?

During the 10 days off, am I on call for 6 of them?

No. Those are days off. 4 of which are unmovable, in a row, and you're totally untouchable.

While on reserve I can be anywhere for the 4-6 days if I understand you correctly?

Sort of. Know your contract- you can't be on the road five days without being back in base.

Once I hold a line will I be back in base most every night?

Huh? No. Unless you're in LGA.

I envisioned 4 on, 3 off, 5 on 2 off, or something like this.

Thanks

That's usually how it goes with a line. Lately, it's been horrible to show up to work here.

Reserve call out depends on what base you're at. In no case will it be less than 1hr 15 min.

The lines in my base usually have 4 to 5 on, then 2 to 3 off. A few have longer off stretch in them.

Out of the 10 days off on a reserve line, 4 are hard days off. The other 6 can be moved (can't remember the exact provision), but in no case will you have less than 10 days off in a month.

No. Those are days off. 4 of which are unmovable, in a row, and you're totally untouchable.

Just to add the changes to that... Every reserve line must have one 4 day stretch of consecutive days off per the contract. The old reserve language made that four day stretch 'golden', or immune from assignment by the company, meaning they can't touch you, reserve day move you, etc, so you could plan something to do on your days off. The new reserve system gives the pilot the option of placing their 4 'golden' days on either the 4 day stretch or two 2 day stretches. I was using the two 2 day option more often than the four, because frequently the 4 day stretch would happen after 6 days of reserve, so they couldn't touch me on the first day of the 4 day stretch anyway (24 in 7 per FARs for those who aren't following). The two 2 day option made it less likely to have a reserve day moved and end up with a one day break. The option to place 'golden' days where the pilot wants them was supposed to be ALG style, where you could truly put them wherever you wanted them, but it seems the company interpreted this as either the 4 day or two 2 days, and it was accepted as such. (At ALG you could place one golden day on the first day of four stretches of days off, making you almost always untouchable).

For you new guys, one 1 day break is allowed every month and most senior guys don't know that a one day break on a reserve line DOES count as one of your 10 days off in a month. (It does not count as one of your minimum 10 days off in a month for a line holder). Nothing prevents a one day break at the end of one month, rolling into a stretch of days of work, then a one day off break in the beginning of the following month. Several times I got 6 on, 1 off, 6 on, 1 off, 5 or 6 on.

In my opinion, LGA has great schedules...most junior lines for Aug. are running 15 days off/mo minimum. In my time there, I've never had less than 15 days off, and was only on reserve for about 3 weeks...they're actually pretty sweet schedules here in LGA

If you live in base or don't mind a crash pad, LGA lines are great.

How long is it taking newhires to hold a line out of ROA or MDT?

Also, what is the feesability of commuting to these bases. Please be specific (earliest outbounds, latest inbounds).

Thanks

I've seen outbounds as early as 5:00, w/ 6-6:30 being very common. inbounds can go into the wee hours, terminating at the outstation bases 10:30/11pm... Who knows where you'll go once you get here. Stay away from lga, no soup for you.

Latest resources

Back