• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont New Hiring Times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With USAirways dying, I would not head to PDT or ALG. Aim for CHQ, Skywest or Skyway. Seriously, why would you want to fly a junky, dilapidated Dash 8 for a regional that might be nonexistant in 6 months when you could fly a CHQ 135/145 or Skyway Dorkjet and upgrade to Captain in 3-4 years on a jet?

I would like CFIfornow to quote that source. Their website hasn't changed and I've got friends there who hadn't heard about the times coming down. Also, why would it be career suicide? I am very familiar with USAir's situation and how it relates to PDT, but will working for them affect your ability to get hired at other places down the road?

I'm not challenging CFIfornow, I'd just like to see where that info came from. Thanks!

The dash 8 is a fine aircraft..... It is also the safest regional aircraft ever to fly. But PDT and ALG are not carriers to even think about getting involved with. U.S Air is poised for Chapter 7 by 4th quarter, so applying to these carriers would be a waste of time. Why do you think they are hiring??? Everybody is bailing. Just think about it, there losing aircraft but still running new hire and upgrade classes. What a joke........

How about a guy that came up the hard way. Meets and exceeds 135 mins. and never sat watching someone else do all the work/flying? Do I have a chance at PDT or do I want it?

I would apply to almost anyone else, i.e. Chatauqua, XJet, Skywest, ASA etc. No future at PDT. I was a first officer there for 2.5 years and moved closer to the bottom than the top almost the entire time.

They've currently planned to upgrade 30 but after the PDT/ALG merger in the future who knows what will happen. Most likely furloughs unless attrition wins out when the Dash leases start expiring. Too many uncertainties for me.

But might be a good place to pick up some quick 121 experience and move on.

Good luck.

Piedmont is not career suicide. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. PDT is not a secure job, it's a rough place to work with JR.mans, little time off and low morale. BUT, with half a decade here I can safely say we have one of the best training programs in the industry, despite having really bad instructors.

If you're a CFI putting Piedmont Airlines DHC-8 F/O, turbine time, and 121 time on a resume you will be a light year more marketable than fellow CFI's and even pilots at some other regionals. The F/O's here have no probelm getting interviews elsewhere. Oh yeah, and our dilapidated little Dash-8 flies through all the weather, so our guys have great scans, quality time, and good experence which has made the transition to another airline easy.

Trust me, I've got interviews with Frontier, ASA, and just got called by AirTran.....some career suicide. I know PDT may not have a future thanks to UAIR, but don't tell me that working here was suicide.

Suicide is what happens to a pilot's career when they choose to become a scab. It is not what happens to a pilot working at PDT or ALG.

I agree Pdt is definitely not career suicide if you can maintain a positive attitude. It becomes career suicide to those that get so disgusted with the airline that they chose to bail out of the industry all together. That has happened with quite a few Pdt pilots during the last two years. There is something to be said about not working for an airline that has a toxic corporate culture. The sticker that was floating around "PDT: The cure for hope" has a ring of truth to it. On the flip side you get quite a bit of 121 time and make decent money in the process. It's all a matter of expectations and what you're willing to put up with.

PDT is career suicide.... if you can't see that them you have been there too long. "They have one of the best training programs, despite having bad instructors". Do you even hear what you are saying. The sh!t doesn't even make sense!! If there AQP program is soooo great then how the hell did a sh!t pilot like B. FOX ever make captain. I was at PDT for 5+ years and did nothing but take concessions and watch all of my friends at other airlines fly new CRJ's while I listened to ALPO feed me more crap about how our jets were on there way. PDT sucks so bad even a scum like Leonard bailed. I suggest you do the same. :D

Last edited:
WOW ... Frontier, ASA, and Value Jet. What a great bunch of choices. I guess you were right, PDT is a ladder to success. Get real!!!

Latest resources

Back