• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Now is a very good time to be careful at Piedmont... With everything. I actually had a CP meet me at the airplane last week to ask me why we took so long from block out to takeoff (it was a weather thing). There is a lot of management presence in PHL this days. I have seen every member of the Flight Department management in the past couple of weeks observing operations. I don't know the reason for the increased scrutiny, but I would bet a couple of quarters that fuel management has something to do with it.

I haven't changed the way I do anything, but now is probably a good time to have a ready explaination for anything that appears remotely sketchy. They may make an example of someone... It is always good to not be that guy.

I actually had a CP meet me at the airplane last week to ask me why we took so long from block out to takeoff (it was a weather thing).

You'd think they could figure things like that out themselves......... nice to see somethings never change. (figuratively speaking of course)
Sounds like the fear and intimidation plan is still widely enforced.

In my limited experience with jumpseating on PDT from PHL to MDT I usually can't even get past the gate agent. They automatically assume the weight won't work and don't even ask the captain. I find it easier to go to CLT even though its a longer flight.

In my limited experience with jumpseating on PDT from PHL to MDT I usually can't even get past the gate agent. They automatically assume the weight won't work and don't even ask the captain. I find it easier to go to CLT even though its a longer flight.

I feel your pain, I used to go around the gate agents and talk to the Captains all the time because of that. (all it takes are 2 or 3 kids or a light bag load due to the usual mis connecting luggage in PHL and a jumpseat makes it on. Granted back then I had ramp access in most places..... PHL has the largest number of slackers (controllers, gate agents, rampers,fuelers etc. I think I got a story for every work group there) known to aviation so you are probably better off steering clear of the dump!
Friends don't let friends fly through Philly.........

Last edited:
When they increased the weight of the pax. The 100 model basically got restricted to 34 pax rendering 3 seats and the jump useless. To cary 37+ a jump you need to have several kids onboard.

Heyas,

Wow, that stinks. Back in the day, we'd carry 37 out of HHH with a good load of bags and fuel for an alternate (FLO, but hey, an alternate is an alternate).

The -200 would carry 37, plus a JSer, plus 2000 lbs of bags and about 5000 lbs of fuel, enough to go CLT-CAK with an alternate.

Nu

When in Philly just make sure you make it to the crew. I remember having 8 seats open going to SBY and the gate agent said there wasnt anyone trying to jump or nonrev. She even said she made and PA. The captain went in and walked out with four uniformed crewmembers and a nonrev. Usually those guys do everything they can to get you on. Dont trust the Philthy agents one bit.. There are a few apples in the bounch, but most 99% of those guys are old school they make it happen at least thats how it was when I was there.

trying to jumpseat on Piedmont,,noticed we don`t have a recip agreement,,,can you jumpseat without agreement?

I had the same problem in PHL last month. They said we didn't have a recip agreement on the computer screen when I know in fact we do. We have CASS, but I wasn't allowed to ride in the jumpseat. I'm glad there was an open seat in the back. I made a call to my JSC to try and get it fixed. I had no problems riding up front with UsAir mainline.

I had the same problem in PHL last month. They said we didn't have a recip agreement on the computer screen when I know in fact we do. We have CASS, but I wasn't allowed to ride in the jumpseat. I'm glad there was an open seat in the back. I made a call to my JSC to try and get it fixed. I had no problems riding up front with UsAir mainline.

Who are you with? I'm no longer with PDT, but as far as I know I'm the last one to update the reciprocal list and still have a copy somewhere on the computer. I can make a call to the boys if something needs to be straightened out.

I'm a F/O with PDT and was nonrevving DAB-CLT on an extremely full mainline flight recently.
While I was at the gate podium, gate agents discussed among themselves about how I wasnt allowed to ride in the cockpit. They KNEW mainline pilots can ride in the cockpit on Express flights, or wait...maybe its the other way around? No no no Express pilots can ride in the cockpit on mainline flights but not the other way around!

I just shook my head and said no, I'm not sure where you guys got that from, but we're all in CASS so it doesnt matter.

"Hmm...are you sure???"

"Yes I am".

I pointed out theres a list of dozens and dozens of airlines on the PDT website OPEC might be referring to, and they would be surprised at the number of airlines pilots can jumpseat on.

Sometimes all it takes is a little polite insistence or just request they talk to the captain if they are unsure.

Latest resources

Back