Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont! For those interested!! And Need Cash?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I should quit and get rehired so I can make more than I do now as a second year F\O.

So sad...but hey, we need people who are going to fill the seats and stay here longer than 2 months. I'm with you mike, let's just leave and get hired again so we can get that cash and we'd only be giving up about 40+ in senority.

direct quote from link above
"...$5,000 when they join the our airline."

Good job, maybe they will give you an extra $3,000 for superior grammar and proofreading skills.

It's nice to finally see some sort of incentive for a pilot to go to PDT.

For those actually considering PDT

Ok, I'll play the unknowing prospective PDT pilot and ask the following questions (serious responses please for those who might be interested):

1. Beyond the $5K, what are the positives related to flying for PDT? What about negatives?

2. What is the Dash 8 like to fly - fun, easy, boring? How long until potential upgrade?

3. What is the likelihood that a newhire could get a Charlotte base or would it be more likely to get an upstate NY base?

4. Why should someone consider a job with PDT flying the Dash 8 when plenty of regional jet jobs at other regionals exist (admittedly with some bad regionals)?

5. Do many newhires stay at PDT or instead use it as a springboard to another regionals after accumulating hours?

I am not trying to flame here - I am getting out of the regional business myself but I am sure other prospective regional pilots might be interested in this type of information. Thanks for serious responses...

I'm not a PDT guy, just a brother redheaded step child. But I am staying in a nasty hotel in Jackson with nothing to do so I'll try answering.

1. Beyond the $5K, what are the positives related to flying for PDT? What about negatives?

Good (relatively) FO pay. A good pilot group. Actually getting to fly a prop so you can't be accused of SJS.

2. What is the Dash 8 like to fly - fun, easy, boring? How long until potential upgrade?

The guys I know that fly it like it. Upgrade? I don't think that exists in the US and USX system. (last I heard it was around 4 years).

3. What is the likelihood that a newhire could get a Charlotte base or would it be more likely to get an upstate NY base?

About 0. CLT isn't a base anymore.

4. Why should someone consider a job with PDT flying the Dash 8 when plenty of regional jet jobs at other regionals exist (admittedly with some bad regionals)?

That is the $100 question. I think that is why they are giving away 5K now.

5. Do many newhires stay at PDT or instead use it as a springboard to another regionals after accumulating hours?

The two guys I knew that were there both left for other places.

Again, this is all from being parked at the gate next to these guys. Your mileage may vary.

Ok, I'll play the unknowing prospective PDT pilot and ask the following questions (serious responses please for those who might be interested):

I am not trying to flame here - I am getting out of the regional business myself but I am sure other prospective regional pilots might be interested in this type of information. Thanks for serious responses...

I'll take a stab at it.

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. PDT is fine, especially if you live in base. The crews are as good as you will find anywhere, and you will be the sharpest you'll probably ever be after a couple of years in the mighty dash (unless you've spent a couple years flying the Beech or the Jball... Now thats sharp!). PDT has been ok for me for a several years, and I came from Trans States- Now that was a f*cked up airlines.

Negatives? You'll work hard. You'll get sweaty and get lots of turbine oil on your shirt (how a pilot shirt ought to be if you ask me...). You won't get a lot of company support, although I can say from personal experience thier hearts are only mostly made of stone. The upgrade is kinda slow right now, but who knows how that might change (during my seven years here it has gone anywhere from two years to five years). The equipment is old, so the kids who aren't easily impressed won't think you are that cool. That's ok... Hot chicks dig beta! Latest rumor from the new US VP of Express is that an ATR buy might not be entirely out of the question. Well my career would be full circle then: TSA ATR to PDT dash to PDT ATR. Anyone wanna buy some high wing t-prop time?

2. I think the airplane is bad ass. Once you learn it the dash will sit up and bark for you. But you have to babysit it... It isn't an airplane for the lazy. Systems are tough if you don't have any t-prop time... The ECU and electrical system can blow your mind if you are dumb like me. Landings will frustrate you no matter how much time you have in the airplane. It will take good care of you though... I have seen enough ice on the dash to cover sink the Titanic and it still behaved well.

3. CLT base is long gone. Everything is junior for FOs. I am guessing LGA, SYR and SBY are probably very doable for a new hire.

4. Tough question. If you live in base (or close to) I think it is a no brainer. The slow upgrade is a definate detractor, but those things tend to be cyclical. PDT has a good contract, so it makes it a better choice than some airlines. The upgrade is slow right now, so maybe someplace like REP is a better choice. With the hiring cycle starting to upswing the upgrade time is bound to get shorter. It just depends on what you want. With the pace of growth at a lot of regionals it is hard to make a case to come to PDT based on upgrade alone. It isn't a bad place to hang out while waiting for something you percieve to be better.

5. Most newhires, unless they have family ties to the base they live in a leaving for rapid upgrades. Hopefully it works out for them. I don't bame them for going.

thanks for asking those questions, i was interested in learning more about it myself

Latest resources

Back