Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sig

Regarding junior mans on days off, junior man extensions, and premium pay:

DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT allow scheduling to offer you extra pay for working on a day off without a JRM stamped crewcard in your hot little hand. In other words, they're buying themselves out of the contract mandated JRM cap. Worse yet, you're selling me and the rest of us out for doing it.

JRM vs. premium pay? SAME THING, folks- just one isn't contractually driven. They're offering double premium pay? Screw that. Get capped, and enjoy the holidays off. The extra four hours of double premium is not worth NOT getting JRM capped.

Never. Ever. EVER go below 10 days off. I'm getting a little peeved at some people picking up flying- but wanting it to remain "hush hush" while they do it. Conscience aside, why would you do that? You might as well accept a 16 hour duty day and fly the last leg.

Another point regarding DH:

Someone, ostensibly a gate agent, asked for clarification on whether a crewmember gets paid while occupying the jumpseat on a deadhead.

This is irrelevant.

DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT occupy the jumpseat on a deadhead to accommodate revenue passengers. This is a huge no-no. You're giving the company free money twice- first, you're only at 50% pay. Second, they know they have to bump revenue and compensate the displaced pax- this is planned money they'll spend. Third, if they build these schedules with DHs, they pay the price. You never have to occupy a JS- period. The only way I could justify doing that is to get non-revs on board that can't sit up front. Don't let a gate agent bully you- you have a paid seat, you will occupy that seat, and anything short of that will be treated as if the agent denied you boarding as a must ride.

/rant

Someone, ostensibly a gate agent, asked for clarification on whether a crewmember gets paid while occupying the jumpseat on a deadhead.

This is irrelevant.

DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT occupy the jumpseat on a deadhead to accommodate revenue passengers. This is a huge no-no. You're giving the company free money twice- first, you're only at 50% pay. Second, they know they have to bump revenue and compensate the displaced pax- this is planned money they'll spend. Third, if they build these schedules with DHs, they pay the price. You never have to occupy a JS- period. The only way I could justify doing that is to get non-revs on board that can't sit up front. Don't let a gate agent bully you- you have a paid seat, you will occupy that seat, and anything short of that will be treated as if the agent denied you boarding as a must ride.

Well said, applies to just about every company, and is something that a lot of people don't understand/think about. Nice Post.

i got 7 babies and a rap career to support... im flyin my ass off i don't care what you say!

im flyin my ass off i don't care what you say!

HA!

The reason I posted that was for the benefit of the FNGs and FYIGMs. I heard this from a captain:

"Shhh, I know I go down to 8 days off... but dam! 800 more bucks? Screw the contract."

Sig not happy rest of day.

HA!

The reason I posted that was for the benefit of the FNGs and FYIGMs. I heard this from a captain:

"Shhh, I know I go down to 8 days off... but dam! 800 more bucks? Screw the contract."

Sig not happy rest of day.

you obviously didn't catch my sarcasm. i rarely say something serious on this board.... i know things are tense here at piedmont scarelines but just try and relax a lil bit!

Someone, ostensibly a gate agent, asked for clarification on whether a crew member gets paid while occupying the jumpseat on a deadhead.

This is irrelevant.

DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT occupy the jumpseat on a deadhead to accommodate revenue passengers. This is a huge no-no.

You never have to occupy a JS- period.

Sig,

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but this been gone over and over before.

According to our CBA Section 8.B.2

"All deadheading will be booked on a "flight crew must ride" basis. The company MAY REQUIRE (emphasis mine) a pilot to occupy the jumpseat if his passage would result in a denied boarding of a revenue passenger."

Volunteer - never!

If asked, you are obligated by our CBA to do so.

Anyone telling you that it is a voluntary thing up to the individual pilot is incorrect.

Has anyone been called by or to SBY for refusing? I don't know. I do know that I try to honor my side of the agreement even if we must force the company to do so at times.

Please don't believe everything that you hear unless it can be shown to you in the contract. Things aren't always what we think or what we want or what we wish they were. Also just because someone said that they did this or didn't do that and never got in trouble for it doesn't make it so. Just do your best to follow the agreement.

Last edited:
"All deadheading will be booked on a "flight crew must ride" basis. The company MAY REQUIRE (emphasis mine) a pilot to occupy the jumpseat if his passage would result in a denied boarding of a revenue passenger."

That's three names on my list, none of which are a gate agent. Whose company? It's a problem on other airlines- not so much on our metal.

May is a month.

*And now I'm foaming at the mouth peesed off. Yet another piece of crap they can use against us. It just dawned on me who is signing that gate agent's paycheck... as in (pay)checkmate on me. DANG.

*** Another idea: who owns that jumpseat anyway?

Last edited:
Well said, applies to just about every company, and is something that a lot of people don't understand/think about. Nice Post.

Plus if you take the JS you might bump a pilot trying to get home. Make the company buy you a ticket. Jumpseating is a privilage and is not to be used for crew movement!

Can you ask the captain to deny you the jumpseat so you have to sit in the back?

I miss the old 'monster.

Not so much.

Can you ask the captain to deny you the jumpseat so you have to sit in the back?

I miss the old 'monster.

Not so much.

No just tell the company that the Captain said no you cannot ride, he is going to file a greivance and it is not your problem.

Latest resources

Back