• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PIC Turbine or SIC Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the help everyone. I've still got lots to consider, but your advice has made my decision a little easier. I love flying the KA, and I like the people I work with. Hopefully I'll get the time up and bang down a few corporate doors.

421Driver said:
I mostly fly the KA, and could likely be able to hit 1000 PIC turbine in another 1.6 years. The pay for the Beech jet would likely be a little higher, not sure about the sched and QOL. From friends who have worked there, the QOL sounds a little better. So, based on that, is the 1000 PIC turbine something that I'd be better off getting before knocking on corporate doors? I assume it would make me easier to insure when it would be time to upgrade.

STAY PUT. PIC Turbine gives you flexibility. SIC gives you nothing.

Now, OTOH, if the job you are at isn't stable and you'll be on the street unless you go to the Beechjet, then by all means go.

What's your upgrade potential in the Beechjet job? Is it where you want to be five years from now?

421Driver said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I've still got lots to consider, but your advice has made my decision a little easier. I love flying the KA, and I like the people I work with. Hopefully I'll get the time up and bang down a few corporate doors.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. You like where you are? STAY. It's a win-win for you. You are in a good place and padding your resume' to boot.

Like the man said, SIC jobs are all over the place. I think employers would rather hire a guy with 1000 PIC than a guy with 200 PIC even for an SIC job. As stated, they have to consider "typeability" and insurability. PIC makes that much easier for them. Staying where you are also shows some loyalty. They don't have to wonder as much about you leaving six months after they've typed you if they can see you stayed at the KA job for a respectable amount of time.

You dont need more time to think. Get PIC Turbine NOW! Look at it this way...

I have friends that worked for a regional for 4 yrs in the right seat, got a job at a BIG airline, and then got layed off. No PIC Turbine and no type ratings and tons of SIC time which is worthless. They cant even get a corp job without pic turbine or time in type.

I stayed where I am at and luckily made Captain quicker than I would at a regional. I made captain with 2900TT and in less than a year I'll have 1000PIC Turbine. After that, hopefully I can find a job in the right seat of a global or gulfstream. Basically you can open more doors with pic turbine.

King Air series aircraft are the most popular turboprops in the world. Having a solid (1000+/-) amount of experience in them is invalueable. Unless you would recieve a type rating in the 400 immediately, I would stay. Even if they tell you they will type you in 6 months, I would stay on the KA. 135 operators have a very short memory when it comes to empty promises. Also if you like where you are, what do you really stand to gain by leaving? Flying a Beechjet gets old after about 2 hours or so, even compared to a KA.

Good luck to you.

I would stay put in the 200. Like everyone said, right seat jet jobs are more plentiful than left seat anything.

If the job payed well, I would spend the rest of my career in a B200. Great plane, easy to fly, loads of fun without pax in back, and most importantly way fewer overnights. If you are a family guy, that gets to be an important factor.

Looks like a 10% diff in pay in favor of the beechjet, with about 2 years to upgrade. I still think I'd like to build up the PIC turbine after everyone's responses. Any other thoughts?

Latest resources

Back