PIC Turbine or SIC Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

421Driver

Have a possible job opportunity flying a Beechjet (135, ugh) as a co-pilot. I currently fly C421's and a BE20's PIC. I've got approximately 200-250 PIC Turbine from the King Air now, and I my ultimate goal is to find a good corporate job in the SE Michigan area. What would look better as far as flight time on the CV?

Also, any corporations looking right now?

I found out the hard way, PIC rules. The 421 prolly isn't going to do much for you, so if you can, get at least 1000 hours PIC in the KA. Hope this helps.

4fanman said:
I found out the hard way, PIC rules. The 421 prolly isn't going to do much for you, so if you can, get at least 1000 hours PIC in the KA. Hope this helps.

i thought that too...but he didn't specify how much he flys the KA. i assumed only a little. 1000 pic in KA may take 5 yrs if that's the case. if it would only take another yr or two to get the 1000 hrs in KA, then i would stay. need more info in order to make informed advise.

I mostly fly the KA, and could likely be able to hit 1000 PIC turbine in another 1.6 years. The pay for the Beech jet would likely be a little higher, not sure about the sched and QOL. From friends who have worked there, the QOL sounds a little better. So, based on that, is the 1000 PIC turbine something that I'd be better off getting before knocking on corporate doors? I assume it would make me easier to insure when it would be time to upgrade.

STAY STAY STAY STAY STAY STAY STAY STAY!!!

PIC is KING!!! SIC isn't worth the ink it's written in unless you're looking to upgrade into that specific type, and for a jet you need 3000-4000 TT for insurance purposes. Stay stay stay stay stay and get that BE-200 PIC. It's ALWAYS better to be in the left seat. You'll be able to get an SIC jet job anytime with your quals, and you'll be sitting in that right seat for a while. Stay for the PIC time, and make the jump later. Sitting in the left seat of a multi-turbine airplane with 2600 total time is a VERY big deal. You wouldn't be getting that opportunity at many other places. Get some time, and you SERIOUSLY have something to fall back on. With your type experience, you can find a Kingair job anywhere in the country you want to be. You can move to the right seat of a jet anytime, but if you do it now, you won't be in the left seat for a while. Keep the seat you've got until you've got more time, and then you can think about moving.

Yes, PIC is king. However, you should ask the following questions:

Are you going to get a type rating?
What is the upgrade time?
How many hours a year do you fly?

If you can at least get type rating you will be moving in the direction that you want to go. Many of the jobs that you aspire to require a type rating and time in type. There are a lot of Beechjet jobs out there that you can move onto once you have "paid your dues" in 135 heII.

Good luck, either way you have an opprotunity here.

G100 is right.....the type may be worth it to go, but my advice was on the premise that you need about 3500 hours or so to upgrade. Why go back to the right seat when you're in the left at very low total time? I could go to NJA or something like that right now, but NO WAY! I'm not going back to the right seat. At least not yet. I've only got about 2700 hours and I'm sitting in the left seat of a slowtation, building PIC jet time. You can count on one hand the places I'd be getting the opportunity to do that. I got really lucky too, because I've got a free place to live. The pay is extremely low, but I'm treated very well, I'm home every night, and I have a LOT of free time. I'm getting 40 to 50 hours a month, all PIC jet. Right now I'm paying my dues, and luckily it's not that bad. In a year, when my training contract is up, I have 3200 hours or so, and can be insured, I'm gonna march straight into my boss's office and make him give me a reason to stay (I.E. more pay, Challenger type, etc.), or out go the resumes. With a CE-500 type rating, 500 or 600 PIC in type, and a willingness to move, finding a part 91 CE-500 gig will be EASY, there are so many out there. So I'm in a FANTASTIC career position right now.

Same thing with you. If you get that BE400 type, that will help, but what you need is PIC time. Getting that multi-turbine PIC is SOLID GOLD. The main thing it does is that it proves to potential employers that you are worth spending $20K or so on to train and move over to the left side. I've seen folks get into the left side of Citations and Lears with your time, but never a Beechjet. More than likely, you'll need 3500 to 4000 hours. That translates to a LONG time sitting in the right side. Meanwhile you could be building PIC BE-200 time. Don't worry about SIC jet jobs. They'll ALWAYS be there. I promise you, this won't be the only opportunity you have to sit in the right side of a jet. Once you get some more time, you'll have a much faster upgrade. You're ALWAYS (almost) going to have to start in the right seat of a jet to get that time in type that makes insurance companies happy. But with more total time, and ESPECIALLY more multi-turbine PIC, that low pay in the right seat will be MUCH shorter.

Latest resources

Back