Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Photoflight

AIR rAMBO
On the app is says to refer to 61.51 which would allow a pilot to log PIC as time that person was sole manipulator of the controls.

I did some SIC stuff in a 'van under 135 a couple of years ago and did keep track of my "sole manipulator" time. Should I go ahead and mark that as PIC on the APP?

Also I've been told that they don't want to see dual recieved as PIC time however according to 61.51 it is.

So you guys out there that have been through the process help me out!

I wouldn't count that time... but I am no authority on what they want.

To me, Time holding the controls does not mean much. If you can't fly they see that in the Sim check.

I hold the controls about 2 minutes per flight, probably less ... the rest of the time we are on autopilot.

Time as the HMFIC. (head m__f___ in charge Marine Slang) ... is what counts. Need to add the HMFIC column to logbooks.

HMFIC... as opposed to the SOPA (Senior Officer Present Aboard). In the absence of HMFIC, SOPA is in charge and you never know how much authority you have until you exceed it and then get your bag smashed.(more Marine Slang).

SOPA is like that part 61 PIC time.

Just my opinion and I am sure many disagree.

The way civilians log time is BS. Check out a Navy flight logbook and this would not even be an issue. There is Aircraft Commander time, First Pilot and Co-pilot. First pilot moves the controls and co-pilot talks on the radios and raises the gear. and... Don't get me started about logging taxi time as Flight time....

I don't know about the SIC stuff in the 'Van, but having just completed the app a couple weeks ago I can say the Time Table chart they give you specifically states "No Dual Received" under the PIC time. So, all that time as PIC getting your Instrument, Commercial and whatever else does not count as PIC time in their Time Table. Doesn't matter anyway as there isn't any requirement for x-amount of PIC time. Just a pain in the butt to re-add your time is all.

I agree with gunfyter.

If you did not sign for the aircraft it is not PIC time.

Sorry.

Don't get me started about logging taxi time as Flight time....

I agree with you up until this point.

When I am the HMFIC and am taxiing out with a bus full of people whose lives and safety I am now responsible for and will be held legally and civilly accountable for, you can bet your hiney I will be logging it and I certainly will be getting paid for it.

Semper Fi!

I agree with gunfyter.

If you did not sign for the aircraft it is not PIC time.

Sorry.

You agree with what gunfyter said? Fine, but gunfyter didn't mention that the First pilot who is logging all that glorious Navy PIC time may or may not be the guy who signed for the aircraft. Chances are the actual PIC is asleep in the back and two wannabe's are logging First Pilot and Second Pilot time while the recumbent PIC logs AC time. In actual practice, most Navy crews split the First and Second pilot time equally among all pilots assigned to the flight without regard to which of them signed for the aircraft,and without considering the actual time spent in a control seat. A Navy logbook is less a work of fiction than a civilian one only because the actual PIC doesn't log bunk time as PIC time like long haul civilian pilots do. Beyond that, the system works virtually the same as Part 61.

Last edited:
I don't know about the SIC stuff in the 'Van, but having just completed the app a couple weeks ago I can say the Time Table chart they give you specifically states "No Dual Received" under the PIC time. So, all that time as PIC getting your Instrument, Commercial and whatever else does not count as PIC time in their Time Table. Doesn't matter anyway as there isn't any requirement for x-amount of PIC time. Just a pain in the butt to re-add your time is all.

Ok read it again this morning and found the answer regarding dual recieved.

Notes Reference FAR 61.51 a guadance in filling out flight time worksheet.
1. PIC ucludes instructor time
2. SIC - requried by type or FAR
3. Dual time should not be duplicated in PIC or other columns
4. TT in category
5 SIM, FE, or NAV time not included in total flighttime
6. total columns down
fw= fixed wing.

Exactly Photoflight...#3 was the only one I had to re-add to get my "PIC" time without any of the flight instruction received. As for giving dual, #1 includes that. Other than that, I guess Logbook Pro finally paid off after having it for a couple years! Except, now I've gotta buy their binder for $80 and print my book.

Exactly Photoflight...#3 was the only one I had to re-add to get my "PIC" time without any of the flight instruction received. As for giving dual, #1 includes that. Other than that, I guess Logbook Pro finally paid off after having it for a couple years! Except, now I've gotta buy their binder for $80 and print my book.

well im goin to the coffee shop....this is gonna be a pain.

haha...yeah, I just waited for my wife to go to work one day and broke out the ol' calculator. Double, triple checked for accuracy with a liter of Diet Pepsi and some Skoal to keep me goin'. Good luck, have fun!

Latest resources

Back