Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
For you too lazy to open up your dusty FAR, 61.31(g) states:

(g) Additional training required for operating pressurized aircraft capable of operating at high altitudes.

(3) The training and endorsement required by paragraphs (g)(1) and (g)(2) of this section are not required if that person can document satisfactory accomplishment of any of the following in a pressurized aircraft, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a pressurized aircraft:

or
(iv) Completing a pilot-in-command proficiency check under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter conducted by the Administrator or by an approved pilot check airman.​

Thanks User997, I knew my 340 and 414 PIC time wasn't in vain.

Like I said, pressurized, service ceiling of 25000.
Interestingly enough, the new D-Jet will not require a high altitude endorsement.

I may be wrong here, but as I read that, it sounds like the FAA defines a pressurized aircraft, for this reg, as ANYTHING with a service ceiling or max altitude of over 25k.

1) Except as provided in paragraph (g)(3) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a pressurized aircraft (an aircraft that has a service ceiling or maximum operating altitude, whichever is lower, above 25,000 feet MSL),

So the existance of a pressurized cabin, interestingly enough, has no bearing on weather or not you need the high-altitude endorsement. If you're flying a 402 (to name one I'm familliar with) you need it, even if the only pressurized thing in the cabin is your thermos of coffee.

I could be wrong, however.

sky37d said:
Like I said, pressurized, service ceiling of 25000.
Interestingly enough, the new D-Jet will not require a high altitude endorsement.

...or max operating altitude....whichever is lower.

...and the D-Jet will require a type, which would take care of the endorsement anyway.

-mini

The FAR's say you need the endorsement IF:

THe airplane has a service ceiling or MAXIMUM OPERATING ALTITUDE greather than 25,000, whichever is lower.

On your average P210, those type of airplanes, the MAXIMUM OPERATING ALTITUDE will be less than the service ceiling, and also than 25,000 feet, thus you do not need the endorsement to log PIC.

If you want to know the Answer, go look at the C421 POH/CFM and find out what the MAXIMUM OPERATING ALTITUDE is. As you should know, this is different than the service ceiling.

For the 421, I believe it varies depending on the model. I think some of the older ones were limited to FL 250, meaning you wouldn't need the endorsement. The later models might've been certified up to FL 270, and you would need an endorsement for those.

Latest resources

Back