• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piaggio Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually i'm more interested in the operations of the airplane. I'm also interested in part 91 operations and the availability of mx centers for the average owner.

Its a plane that doesn't have much information out there. Avantair guys have probably more time and wear and tear and know the most about them.

Please don't turn this into a company bashing thread.

I'll be happy to answer your questions about the plane and what my experience in it has been. Feel free to PM, that would probably be best, so this doesn't turn into a "mines bigger than yours" thread.

Diesel said:
Just a couple of performance questions for avantair or piaggio guys.

Runway takeoff length at max gross
Landing distance
Fuel burn
Contaminated landing and takeoff numbers?

Thanks D

Diesel; sea level/standard day/ 0' gradient/0 wind

1) 3300' over 50ft obst.
However, Acc/stop 5800' (max brake no reverse)
2) 2400' max landing wt., no reverse over 50 ft. obst.
3) 800, 600, 600, 600 Works well (considering increased GW)
4) Takeoff

Dry snow max 20mm correction factor 1.75
Wet Snow 15mm 1.72
Slush 12mm 1.66
Standing H2O 12mm 1.66

Landing correction factors w/ reverse:

MX centers; IND, LAL, GYH, PBI, BJC, MHR, DTO,Ontario

Netjets owner:

The Pilatus is a respectable machine, but if fiscally possible; I wouldn't fly single engine anything over the rockies on a regular basis.

I have an important question about this airplane too.
How the heck do you pronounce, "Piaggio"??
I always feel like Im saying it wrong and might get punched in the mouth by some Italian standing nearby when I do butcher it.

Diesel said:
glass thanks for the answer.

I hear the plane is tough to handle when it comes to crosswinds. If you're landeding on a contaminated runway would you do it with a crosswind? oh and the runway is about 3200ft. (lets say the numbers work for it)

I hear it a mx nightmare. Is that only the later numbers or are the newer ones mx problems too? Is there an external cargo area?

Sorry but the website really doesn't have much info.

ps how are the leading edges protected from ice?

Diesel,
It's only tough in crosswinds when pilots think too much about it. It flies no different than any other, but when reverse is intiated and the rudder blanks out as a result; asymetrical thrust is your friend. Due to the sensitivity of the steering and if you don't have the pedals aligned upon engagement (trying to control direction with useless rudder inputs), it can be a ride on the ground. Personally, I don't let low-time Piaggio guys land in good crosswinds if pax are on board for that reason. There's a lot of coordination going on all at one time.

4000' should be the common sense limit-with good traction. It comes in hot and generally needs AT LEAST that length to get back out (acc/stop). It's not an issue of you are empty and light; something we aren't often.

It gets the MX nightmare reputation because it was never designed to do what we do with it. Like a sports car (which this is) it needs preventive mx in some areas and consistent attention in others if you're going to fly it as many hours as we do. That's difficult to achieve when they're never home and you have some crews that treat them like they do their car. Some parts are hard to get, and as I lamented in another thread; avantair has issues with some vendors.

Thanks a ton I figured the props blank out the tail. We never had that problem so its good to know it is squirly. I think the parts are a major issue. Something I hope they get fixed.

I don't think the X is bad in crosswinds. Only got to watch the wingtip?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back