Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Well, folks, I realize this isn't exactly a "Major Airline" subject, but I think it will be of interest to many of us who entered this industry in the 1990's during the bad ol' PFT days.

Well, the worst offender in the race to the bottom, as we all know, is Gulfstream Int'l Airlines, a ragtag B1900 operator which, instead of interviewing and hiring professional First Officers, came up instead with a novel idea- to actually charge inexperienced pilots $20,000. in exchange for the dubious privilege of playing First Officer for 250 hours. Truly a despicable practice.

Well, it looks like the fat lady is about to sing. GIA will no longer be the corn in Continental's poop any longer:
----------------------

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., May 6, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gulfstream International Group, Inc. ("Gulfstream") (NYSE Amex:GIA) announced today that the auditor's report received from its independent registered public accounting firm on its financial statements for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2009 contained a going concern disclosure. Gulfstream's financial statements, including the auditor's report, were included in Gulfstream's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on April 15, 2010.

This announcement is required by Section 610(b) of the NYSE AMEX Company Guide, which requires a listed company that receives an audit opinion that contains a going concern disclosure to make a public announcement of such through the news media. This announcement does not represent any change or amendment to Gulfstream's financial statements or to its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2009.

About Gulfstream International Group, Inc.

Gulfstream is a regional air carrier based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, operating for 20 years. The Company specializes in providing travelers with access to niche locations not typically covered by major carriers. Gulfstream International Airlines, Inc. operates approximately 150 scheduled flights per day, serving nine destinations in Florida, ten destinations in the Bahamas, five destinations from Cleveland under the Department of Transportation's Essential Air Service Program and charter service to Cuba and the Bahamas. For more information on the company, visit the company's website at http://www.gulfstreamair.com.

Last edited:
Good news. Didn't I read that a few GI graduates made their way to AirTran after accruing the necessary hours? I thought I saw a picture of an FO dude on the 717 who had run through that program (perhaps from a link to the GI website - i.e., "successful" graduates)...

Gulfstream isn't the only one from that time frame that was PFT. Don't forget Comair and Express (Pinnacle now).....

Good news. Didn't I read that a few GI graduates made their way to AirTran after accruing the necessary hours? I thought I saw a picture of an FO dude on the 717 who had run through that program (perhaps from a link to the GI website - i.e., "successful" graduates)...

Yes, there is a strata of Gulfstream pilots on our senority list. Oh how I miss the B-1900 war stories.........

Gulfstream isn't the only one from that time frame that was PFT. Don't forget Comair and Express (Pinnacle now).....

don't forget bisex, northeast express, mohawk, ACA, lonestar, chicago express .......what a f%^in scam......pay to play for a whole $16 - 18 K

True, but at Gulfstream you actually paid for the privilege to yank gear for 250 hours, and then were let go to make room for the next sucker.... Orwell said some pigs are more equal than others: what's a good flip on that?

True, but at Gulfstream you actually paid for the privilege to yank gear for 250 hours, and then were let go to make room for the next sucker.... Orwell said some pigs are more equal than others: what's a good flip on that?

I once saw a gulfstream FO whose ID badge said "No Jumpseat". I asked what that was about and he explained that in order to jumpseat you must be employed by a 121 carrier, and he wasn't an employee, he was a customer...

Latest resources

Back