PFT Info request (not a flame starter)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bobby:

Ok, i agree 100% with your earlier post. However, what is a low time instructor to do if offered Freedom? The majority of pilots out there now would certainly stay well clear of Satan's Den. What about the young aspiring types that have not had the opportunity or experience to make such a choice. Most pilots goal when the want to fly 121 is just that. They want to fly and don't care who for. I do give credit to those that do a little research before making a career decision. However, there are many among us that do not have this disipline.

I certainly wouldn't go to Freedom as I'm sure most of us wouldn't either. But if your son or daughter was offered the position and it's the only job that seems avaliable in this industry today, what would be your advice to them?

Just a discussion piece. Not trying to pee on Mesa's fire. Only Freedoms fire place.

ASA

As far as I now ASA new hirers are required to sign a 3-year training bond. You only have to pay it back if you leave within 3 years. I think it’s prorated for 36 months so you only pay what is left if you leave early.

MAPD-
It is my understanding that the MAPD program grads as well as there instructors are/and will continue to be given the choice whether they "want" to go to Freedom or wait on Mesa. I think a better question would be "what if" Freedom is in desperate need of pilots and Mesa is not.?? - I think if I was in the MAPD program right now I may be a tad concerned with this issue down the line since at 300TT and 121 "ready" they may have no other option than to go to Freedom if that is what Mesa needs... I would only hope however that these recent as well as "future" grads are able and will always be able to choose whether or not they "want" to go to Freedom after dropping that much money into the program. It is anyone's guess but IF they tell a grad that they are going to Freedom then I am sure that after spending all that money, having very little TT, being groomed for the 121 envir. then I can't see too many refusing to accept a Freedom position since there hands are kinda tied up. Should be very interesting to see how the MAPD program and Freedom are going to work out together if that is Mesa's goal which still seems unclear as of right now.

3 5 0

328dude,

in answer to your question. "ignorance is no excuse." Someone who doesn't want to put in the time to research what they are getting into deserves what they get. I understand the feeling of wanting a job other than flight instructing but we all contribute to the industry in our own small way and selling ourselves short is not the solution. Taking a job at Freedom Air or any such outfit only contributes to and encourages airline managements' abuse of the system. If I had a son or daughter who was a flight instructor or aspiring pilot I would tell them to shoot for the best and put in the time and work to get there not settle for the bottom of the barrel.

Just a few thoughts.

ASA dropped PFT and training contracts in the first quarter of 2000.

For a few months prior to that, they waived PFT for ATPs, but then decided to drop it completely.

MAPD to Freedom

Originally posted by 328dude However, what is a low time instructor to do if offered Freedom? The majority of pilots out there now would certainly stay well clear of Satan's Den . . . . Most pilots goal when the want to fly 121 is just that. They want to fly and don't care who for. I do give credit to those that do a little research before making a career decision. However, there are many among us that do not have this disipline . . . .
Speedtree has a point. Aviation is a career that is different than most. You really have to do the research and develop the discipline and willingness to do the research. There are so many issues that are not apparent that really have little to do with flying airplanes - the reason why most people want to be professional pilots. I've told people who are interested in the career to begin by talking to pilots. Even private pilots, because pilots know other pilots and, eventually, they'll land in a professional pilot's face.The board is a great resource. I wish I had such a resource when I changed careers - not that I would have made a different decision - because my decision would have been far more informed.

I appreciate 350Driver's comments. I did not know that MAPD grads had a choice between Freedom and regular Mesa. But, here again, it boils down to being a freshly-trained MAPD grad eager to fly and have "the interview" process fulfilled versus being a poolie and waiting forever. It seems to me, though, that you still would go wherever Mesa tells you to go.

THanks for the info, guys...keep it coming. I would especially like to know when the program began and ended and each carrier. Come on, CMR and ASA guys, you've never been shy with me before!

Here are the few more, sorry no dates.

Commute Air (SP), Valuejet, Paradise Airlines (later bought by G-stream)

On a sidenote, you are not the guy that tried to bang the station manager (BGR) at a x-mas party, are you?

Latest resources

Back