PFT Info request (not a flame starter)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyDeltasJets

Out of curiosity, and for information purposes only, I would be interested in learning when each airline's PFT program began and ended. I know the majority of them, but only ballpark numbers. If anyone has more exact info, I would appreciate it.

P.S.
Lets try not to start a war about this, I'm not asking how you feel about it, just when it took place for each airline.

FlyDeltasJets

Here's a synopsis on the history of Kiwi Airlines. If I remember correctly, you had to pony up something like $50,000 to get hired. I don't know if you'd call it PFT or PFJ (Pay for Job). You may have been required to already be qualed on the 727 to get hired - I can't recall. You were actually buying into the company, I believe, and were an equity shareholder. Of course shares were eventually worth squat!

TriDriver Bob

Kiwi International Airlines was founded in 1992 by ex-Eastern staff and operated Boeing 727s from Newark Int'l, New Jersey. In 1994 a reorganisation took place, and by mid-1996 operations were temporarily restricted by the FAA. It struggled in the budget travel market, but had to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 1996 and ceased ops in 1997. It was reorganised in 1999 but had to find shelter again in 1999 in Chapter 11. In 1999 its fleet consisted of 7 Boeing 727-225(A)s.
Sources:
http://aerotransport.free.fr/

Thanks Tri,

Dad was an EAL guy, so I knew quite a few of the kiwi guys.

Anyone with info on CMR, ASA, ACA, CEX, AE, etc?

FDJ,

My understanding was American Eagle was never PFT.

Before they merged

Wings West- NO

Flagship-NO

Simmons-NO

Executive- NO

AAflyer

P.S> The guys from Kiwi started a charter 727 company called Sky Trek Int'l originally based in RIC then New Jersey, I think they started some type of pay for job but the brief time I was there no. Sky Trek then became Discovery Airlines which finally shut down in 2000

Thank you AA.

I never applied to any PFT companies, and I did apply to the Eagle carriers, so I think you are correct.

Thanks for the clarification.

No P-F-T "war", just information

I recall that Air Midwest had some kind of P-F-T program in the very early nineties, before Mesa bought it.

Comair (NOT the flight school) started up a P-F-T program around 1991. I recall that it ended five or six years later.

None of AE carriers AA Flyer mentioned were P-F-T. I recall them well. Throw in Nashville Eagle for good measure. I had colleagues and/or friends who got on with Wings West and Simmons.

I believe that Carnival Airlines was a P-F-T outfit.

Family Airlines, you had to buy a piece of it. Just like Kiwi.

How about throwing in Pay For Interview? Mesa may well get the crown for that, in the early 90s with it's pay-for-interview ATP program. That program apparently still exists; I saw it this past week on the MAPD website. The PACE program is surely pay-for-interview.

It just seems that nearly every regional ten years ago was P-F-T. That's somewhat exagerated, I realize, but, I believe, not far from the truth.

For good measure, throw in FSI's link with ASA. For some reason (and not because I worked at FSI or had a student take the ASA program), that one offended me less than the others.

I wonder how many aspiring hopefulls are still at some of these flight schools banking on the fact that after they shell out loads of cash for flight training, they will atleast get an interview. Ex. FSI, Comair Academy etc etc. Im not saying they are not good schools at all, what I'm saying is, if these schools suddedly decided that there are no more interviews, how many would have thought twice about enrolling.

NOT FLAME BAIT PEOPLE

Carnival

Carnival was one of those kinda PFT schools. You could go there and get a B737 type or 727 type and 727 FE ticket. The only way you would get interviewed is if you trained there. Many however trained there got the ticket (you are also current with the IOE you do) andwent to other airlines.

AAflyer

Interviews

328dude said:
I wonder how many aspiring hopefulls are still at some of these flight schools banking on the fact that after they shell out loads of cash for flight training, they will atleast get an interview. Ex. FSI, Comair Academy etc etc. Im not saying they are not good schools at all, what I'm saying is, if these schools suddedly decided that there are no more interviews, how many would have thought twice about enrolling.

NOT FLAME BAIT PEOPLE
Agreed, absolutely, about the flaming.

At FSI, the only interview you might be assured of getting is for a CFI position with the place. I understand that the waiting list is still six months.

If Comair is "guaranteeing" interviews, it is guaranteeing false hopes. People here on the board have talked about how comparatively few students actually get on as instructors, and how many of them actually get interviews. AT least they'll get jobs; I understand that Comair is hiring.

I think a better example is MAPD. The whole deal about Mesa is getting "the interview" with Mesa. But, what good does getting and passing "the interview" do if there's no hiring? You're placed in a hiring pool. What does that mean (I know what is means - this is a rhetorical question)? Can you remain in the pool indefinitely? I don't know that answer, but I doubt it. Then, it may well be that MAPD poolies are offered Freedom Air, and all that it implies. At least a couple of people have written that Mesa has recalled most of its furloughees, so prospects for MAPD grads may brighten.

CoEx went to no PFT if you had certain hours in the fall of '97 , droped the hours a few months later and PFT was gone all together by mid '98. Honestly not sure when it started though...

Latest resources

Back