PFT banner tow ripoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Read the full narrative.

How is this place still in business??? The FAA should be on this guy like glue watching every move he makes. This just sickens me to think two innocent people died flying for this outfit.

You low time pilots looking to build time or get that first job .....please please stop and make sure your prospective flying job passes the smell test. If your gut says its bad then chances are it is. Ask around and do your homework. There are a few operators out there that will take advantage of the eager....stand your ground and look for something better/safer.

Captain Happy said:
That news just ruined my night. I always knew that someone would eventually die, just hoped i would be wrong.

Sorry, wasn't my intent to bring you down, but I did want it known by the readers that Tim is directly responsible for deaths due to inadequate Mx. That's not Aerial Messages first fatality. There was a fatal crash back in 1989, but that was more pilot error, stalled in a low altitude, low speed turn with a banner.

If its the plane i think it was its the same one i flew with one mag out
He bought it sight unseen and it had lots of corrosion, real pies=ce of crap. SUCKS that he is still alive himself

Anyone have any experience w/Aerial Air Force out of Albert Whitted in St. Pete?? I went by there a week or so ago - guy was really nice.. I need a tailwheel endorsement and their only 2-seater was kinda.. well, let's say "dinged up" from a (now former) employee who lost control while trying to land it...he said to check back in a couple months and maybe something will work out.

I'm new to all this, so what's an acceptable pay scale in anyone's opinion?? I'd like to have a ballpark figure in my head so I know if I'm getting shafted or a sweet deal, you know...
:) John

John2375 said:
Anyone have any experience w/Aerial Air Force out of Albert Whitted in St. Pete?? I went by there a week or so ago - guy was really nice.. I need a tailwheel endorsement and their only 2-seater was kinda.. well, let's say "dinged up" from a (now former) employee who lost control while trying to land it...he said to check back in a couple months and maybe something will work out.

I'm new to all this, so what's an acceptable pay scale in anyone's opinion?? I'd like to have a ballpark figure in my head so I know if I'm getting shafted or a sweet deal, you know...
:) John

In the NE the shady places start out at around $20/hr but its only summer work for the most part. Keep in mind that most is done over the beach, and the area isnt cheap to live in. I'd say $15/hr should be what they'd start you at in FL. I know a guy who was making up to $50/hr but has about 1000 towing already.

ms6073 said:
Take a look at this site (content is a bit dated but still on point): http://www.freewebs.com/stop-aerialmessages/home.htm

Yep, that is Tim Pacinni and he is looking the only endorsement worth anything will be the one he puts on your check when he deposits in he and his wifes bank account. Now there is a legitimate banner two company in Daytonna - Aerial Sign Company - that has been in business for decades and has several dozen aircraft (tailwheel). Aerial messages on the other hand has been investigated by city asnd county authorities on numerous occasions but Tim still manages to run this scam because few are willing to persue the matter but I think the Internet is starting to make it more difficult for him.

Now following 911, I think new regulations require that a banner tow company obtain a waiver - but the waiver is for the company. The local FSDO issues the waiver and may have to be notified when a new pilot is hired. In fact, if you have any questions about Tim's operation, call up the FSDO that has jurisdiction and you can find out about their safety record and you may also get some other helpful or not so helpful information. I think the waiver also defines specific approved geographic areas of operation but again, as far as formal training resulting in an FAA approved/mandated "banner tow endorsement" logbook entry, there is no such thing. As long as the pilot is in the waiver and has satisfied the insurance company's hoop-jumping, there is no reason to pay $2,500!

Although the langauge is vague, seems to me that Tim just indicated in an electronic message that a banner tow endorsement is required for which he will charge you $2,500 to obtain! Reply back and ask him point blank who requires the endorsement and if he indicates that it is the FAA, I suggest you consider contacting the Florida Attorney General and file a consumer fraud report. Of course he will simply back pedal and tell you the endorsement is a requirement for his insurance company and not an FAA but you could also contact the FSDO and let them know about this guys claims about this 'FAA required endorsement! If you really want to make Tim's life interesting, I suggest you consider using the e-mail address from his reply message to register for some adult websites. After that, see if you can lay your hands on one of those Nigerian cashiers checks that are floating around and ask that he deposit the check and then refund the difference! :pimp:

Ok,

I replied to him this,

Hello, there is no such thing as a banner tow endorsement required by the FAA please provide the FAR! The only way you will get $2,500 from me is if its in the form of a secured training bond like most employers do.

he responded

Sorry to have wasted your time. This endorsement is required under the letter of authorization or also known as a Waiver, and also required by the insurance companies. The letter of authorization is issued from the FAA, so it is as good as a reg. The endorsement goes into your logbook, and is the responsibility of each pilot. There are no guaranties except for the training and endorsement for each pilot who pay's for it. If you want to get the endorsement elsewhere, please do and contact me later.

Tim

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back