Pet Peeves While Airlining

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tailhookah said:
Go get another job where you don't have to airline then...

That's exactly what I did! (Lighten up, Titus Moody! It's all just humor.)

Did something strike a nerve? Are you a 1 1/2 seater? HABIB, IS THAT YOU?!!

Last edited:
I had one instance on a flight where the FA came back to me and said the captain wanted to speak to me immediately. Being in uniform, I figured it was time for the ol' "jumpseat etiquette" diatribe. Instead, the captain really wanted to see me because he wanted to know about my company, the contract and how to possibly apply.

But I add another "+1" to Diesel's post, especially the Southwest part. Nice enough people at SWA for the most part, but please lay off the kool-aid. And please assign seats instead of the "ready, set, stampede" boarding method.

learflyer said:

* When you are on day 8 and hour # 15 you finally make it to your domicile, pull up to the gate, and the CSA's are no where to be found to operate the jetway.

* When on day 8, and connecting through dulles with a tight connection, after just coming from SEATTLE IN A MIDDLE SEAT, you miss your connection to your domicile because that ugly people mover thing broke down! (really happened!)

Day 8?? WTF?? HA HA HA!!!!

One of mine is all the jackass's that jump up the second the seatbelt sign comes off. Run Forest Run! And now stand in the isle for 15 minutes till you can leave.

But I have made this pet peeve into one of my favorite times at work. You see, the RJ is the only jet left in the airline industry (at least it seems that way). Now when that "BING" signals for everyone to stand, you need to pay attention. Because this is when everyone bashes their head into the overhead. On average, there is at least 3-5 mild concussions every time the Captain flicks that all important switch. I know this is sick, but I do enjoy watching all those lemmings smashing their melons into the reading lamp.

Just thought of another one:

Early in the morning or late at night and you are just falling asleep. The plane is getting bounced around in light chop and the pax next to you wakes you up and says, "this is not good, are we going to be okay?" I always tell them, "If my eyes are closed, we're okay. If I'm wide-eyed and white as a ghost, we're as good as dead." That'll get you some stares!

Love the one about the banging heads on the RJ's. I'm gonna start keeping count.

I don't airline as much as you guys do (thankfully!) but I'll give it a shot:

In turbulence: The people who you can hear guessing how far the plane dropped in turbulence. "Oh that was probably a thousand feet!"

People walking up and down the aisle who feel that it is necessary to put your hands on each and every seat headrest on either side of the aisle. I understand the need to steady yourself BUT if it's bumpy, stay in your damn seat and if it's not bumpy you shouldn't be falling over...but if you feel like you will...put your hand up on the overhead bin! Quite touching my head/pulling my hair when you pin my hair between your hand and the seat!! And do you really have to put that much weight into the seat that you cause it to move and it feels like you just kicked my headrest?

Customs at YVR

When my boss clears customs at YVR we call canpass, when they give us a code we can open the door. The rental car is running outside the plane.

Clearing customs as a passenger on the airlines. 4 widebody aircraft from Asia deposit the masses of humanity at the same time every day. Some how this is a huge suprise for Canadian Customs. It practily blindsides them, despite the fact it happens at the same time every day. Stand in line for close to 3 hours. Get verbally harrased for about 5 to 10. Remind the customs agent that since you had to wait in line for 3 hours your going to miss your flight. Get verbally harrased for about 5 to 10 pick up your bags. Run to catch your flight. Miss your flight because you have to clear security AGAIN! I am a pesant and I know it now.

So....let me get this straight....some of you guys acutally travel, while on a COMPANY PAID TICKET, in the goof suit? WTF are you thinking? It'll just get you stupid ass questions, looks, and comments....so take off that stupid ass shirt before you get onboard and put on a polo or something! At the VERY LEAST take off your epaulets, ties, wings, nametags, whateverthef#&k you wear! Generally, if you're wearing a shirt with epaulet holders, only the FA's and other pilots will know what you are....just make up some story for the other schmucks to tell them what you do for a living.

Probably just guys with the "IM A PILOT/CAPTAIN" fetish...Why else would anyone wear the "monkey suit" for travel...I think its assinine that we have to dress like airline pilots anyway...Slacks, a company polo or long sleeve with the company logo and nice shoes outta be enough. I especially hate wearing the friggin tie!! :angryfire Ive traveled with guys who wore their uniform and I didnt and never saw them have any advantage over me as far as security checks, hassles, etc....In fact Ive seen them get flagged and I didnt.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back