Pet Peeves While Airlining

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

leardawg

I figured I'd put this in the Fractional section because Frax types airline to and from work more than the average GA pilot, and I spent 3 years as one doing the Day 1/Go-home day thing with FLOPS.

My pet peeves while flying the airlines:

- The fat slob next to you who takes up 1 1/2 seats (I once spent an entire 3-hour flight leaning out in the aisle).

- Someone (usually named Habib) with rank B.O. sitting near you.

- The guy or gal that holds up the line during boarding in order to go through a routine before sitting in their seat (put bag in overhead, put briefcase in overhead, remove coat, fold coat, put coat neatly in overhead, tuck in shirt,
forget something in briefcase, open it, remove item, shut briefcase, check pockets for something, do the silent pointing "I'm in that seat" to other passenger already seated). JUST SIT THE F DOWN ALREADY!!!

-The passenger who insists on bring a steamer trunk on board as carry-on baggage, then can't get it into the overhead.

- The passenger that assumes because you are in uniform, you represent the airline, and are all-knowing about everything going on with that flight and the airport, or are a worthy target of passengers' frustration and wrath (I only wore my uniform if I knew I was going straight to a flight in my airplane).

- The passenger that seems surprised and put-out by TSA security measures that have been in place for a few years now, and holds up the line by arguing with them.

-Passengers that are standing in the aisle during boarding after you've taken your seat, and fart in your face point blank range (and there's nowhere to escape it!). I had that happen once (guy had bad B.O. too; he was standing next to my head for several minutes while someone else did the sit-down routine).

- Unruly, screaming kids.

- When you move to a better seat because you think everyone is on board, only to have Just Made It Joe arrive on board, out of breath, and make a beeline right for your new seat.

- When you're trying to make a tight connection, and your arrival gate is invariably at the farthest geometric point on the airport from your next gate.

- When you're trying to make that connection, and get stuck in the jetway behind Ma and Pa Kettle with no room to get around them.

-HAVING to take a crap in an airport restroom, especially after Habib is done using the stall!

-Using the handicapped stall to change out of your uniform, just as Ironsides or Guy Caballero shows up needing to go (and gives you a dirty look as you leave the stall 10 minutes later).

-Standing in the boarding line when they've called your Boarding Zone 1, and noticing the guy in front of you has one that says Boarding Zone 6 (there's a system, dude, and the plane ain't gonna leave without ya!). He proceeds to do the afore-mentioned Seating Routine.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

- The passenger that assumes because you are in uniform, you represent the airline, and are all-knowing about everything going on with that flight and the airport, or are a worthy target of passengers' frustration and wrath (I only wore my uniform if I knew I was going straight to a flight in my airplane).

I HATE THIS ONE!

I hate when you think there is an open seat between you and the other guy and you think they are about to shut the door when all of the stby's start coming in to fill every middle seat there is.

I hate that same woman who has to get up and go to the restroom every 5 minutes who bumps your elbow everytime she walks by.

I hate it when young single mommies let there kids run up and down the skinny a$$ aisle and thinks that everyone else thinks it's cute.

I hate having to stand in line when I have a southwest flight.

I hate the people in line when I have a southwest flight who keep turning around...........STAY STILL AND LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD OR DIE!

Like leardawg said.......when I where my uniform for that rare time on the airlines and I become the answer center for all......."omg, i just saw another airplane out the window, is that safe?"

I hate it when we ki$$ our owners a$$es all week by giving them the best service in the world: catering, own private jet, etc. And then on day 8 we go home on the airlines only to be shocked back to reality with pretzels, peanuts a middle seat, and all of the above!

Oh, yeah. I hate it when we arrive early on the airlines from tail winds or whatever only to sit short of the gate for 30 mins because it is occupied! Airlining sucks!!!!!!

Clearly,

Airlining is the worst part of the Fractional job but there are ways to work the system a bit to make it a little more pleasant.

1. If you wear your uniform, you can ususally bypass the longest security lines and use the crew side (think LAS, EWR, DEN).

2. If in uniform, some airlines (think Southwest) will let you pre-board so you can have an extra moment to put away YOUR steamer trunk and flight bag or you might even wangle that holy grail upgrade to PREMIERE CLASSE (this works especially well if you casually make friends with the gate agent, learn their name, comiserate with them over what a moron their bankrupt CEO is--not applicable at Southwest, of course).

3. If a passenger decides you are a blue-suited information sign, give them a scowl and send them to the ticket counter back outside security (that'll learn 'em). Or, just be a normal human being, smile, and try and help your airline colleagues keep at least one passenger happy and coming back ("We know you have your choice of bankrupt carriers when you fly. Thanks for choosing ours. Remember, at Fly-by-Night Airways, we're upping our standards so up yours).

4. When the idiot next to you breaks wind, or the kid behind you is working on his field goal technique, or Grandpa Jones thinks he deserves your exit-row aisle seat, just remember those points you are earning and how you are planning to use them on a great vacation (USING THEM TO VISIT AUNT ENID FOR EASTER IS A MAJOR FRACTIONAL FOUL).

5. You can always go back to commuter flying or freight dogging where you have to hope and pray that some kindly soul will allow you to jump seat or pass ride home on the last flight of the night after you got bumped three times for revenue pax or on-line non-revs.

I pi$$es me off when the jagoff behind you grabs the top of your seatback to stand up, releases it, and flings you forward - instead of pushing their fata$$ up with the armrests. This usually happens while you are sleeping, and just when you get back to sleep, same said jagoff does the same thing while returning from dropping their steamer. Same jagoff continues to do this multiple times during flight.

I find it is best to wait until food and drink is served, then go the restroom, and upon the return, flop down and back in the seat and upheave their tray.

learflyer said:
- I hate it when young single mommies let there kids run up and down the skinny a$$ aisle and thinks that everyone else thinks it's cute.

I hate having to stand in line when I have a southwest flight.

I hate it when we ki$$ our owners a$$es all week by giving them the best service in the world: catering, own private jet, etc. And then on day 8 we go home on the airlines only to be shocked back to reality with pretzels, peanuts a middle seat, and all of the above!
A few responses to your post:

Point One: ...and the LESBO couples who have adopted some poor kid (who will now be doomed to a life of queerness) who expect you to treat them as if they were REAL mothers. I guess Dan Quayle was right after all.

Point Two: What makes that line worse is that they'll have 18 "A" passes, 85 "B" passes and 18 "C" passes. Everyone with the B pass gets in line an hour early so if you don't fall in that early, you are sitting under some 350 lb sweaty fat a$$ who is wearing flipflops and a sleeveless T shirt. And let's not forget all the "campers" who spread out all over the floor, laying down and eating Burger King and make a temporary home at the gate area.

Point Three: This is the kicker here. For the whole tour we are surrounded with nice FBOs, we get fed, stay at nice hotels, deal with courteous and clean people (90% anyway) and fly a nice, clean airplane. Then I see that dreaded "WN" on the Crackberry. I know I'm hours away from a dark, smelly terminal with not enough kiosks for the amount of passengers, the smell of McDonalds, shouting from people who claim to have paid "a lot" of money and demand better service, tatoos, butt cracks and belly buttons showing, incredibly "spicy" BO, leather seats covered with black grime from bare feet and sweaty bodies, forehead grease on the window, and a line of butts aimed in my face and ready to fire.

And lets not forget that idiot seated in front of you who, at the moment of takeoff when the plane is 20 degrees nose up, presses the release button and lets his seat SLAM all the way back at once, breaking your knees. Meanwhile, the jerk behind you has the "knee defender", which is illegal, so you can't lean back at all. Geez, I LOVE AIRLINING. And just when I am feeling sorry for myself, I see some poor bum in an airline uniform walk/running to McDonalds to get "lunch" on his 20 minute turn. Then I remember my years of commuting from PHX to IAD for one airline, then PHX to STL for another one, the hassle of the airline job and its brutal schedulers and dispatchers who couldn't find their butt with two hands and a roadmap, and I feel better. Man, I'll never go back. I guess airlining is the cross we bear to have this job. I'll take it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back